21 - Why?

"I suppose we should...head back?" Cole asked the team softly. They turned to Master Wu with saddened faces; he sighed and nodded. 

"But what about Sigma? And the other Kosmikiles?" Quentin asked anxiously, folding his arms in distress. 

The ninja stopped in their tracks and exchanged looks of uncertainty. Amongst the rubble, Ronin had gathered a few dozens of the Kosmikiles that endured the calamity, but without their Chief and mothership, they were now lost. 

Unanticipatedly, a small wisp of violet mist emanated from a heap of damaged equipment and materials. 

"Did--Did you guys see that?" Jay said abruptly. 

"That was not normal smoke...was it?" Kai hesitated, raising an eyebrow.

They rushed back to the rubble, only to see the pile of metal move again. Suddenly, a four-armed woman stumbled out, weakly holding another injured person. 

"Chief Sigma!" Quentin blurted, rushing towards the villain. The golden arrow shot to her shoulder had created a large burn, bringing pain to the light-headed woman. She coughed as she limped towards the ninja and soon collapsed in front of them, dropping the girl in her hands onto the ground. 

"No way!" Lloyd yelped, running behind Quentin

"No way!" Lloyd yelped, running behind Quentin. "Jupiter!" 

The green ninja knelt next to the wounded elemental, along with the rest of her friends. In her hand, she was clasping what looked like a staff, conceived with the same material as the astralstone and adorned with fragments of the Sky Jewel. 

Zane took the lilac ninja's wrist, desperately searching for a pulse. The others looked at the nindroid for any sign of hope. 

"She....she is alive!" Zane sighed in relief. The ninja all celebrated, along with Wu, Ronin and Pixal. 

"We will have to take her to the hospital - I'm afraid my potions and teas will not be enough this time," said Wu, inspecting the wounds on the stardust ninja. 

Eventually, all heads turned to Sigma, who was laying on the ground facing the sky. Quentin approached the menacing alien slowly. 

"Chief Sigma...are you alright?" He asked quietly. 

Her eyes were shut but she was evidently breathing softly. By now, her burnt skin from the explosion and the gold from the weapons didn't bother her anymore. Attached to the ragged belt around her waist was her pouch of limited dust, now ripped and emptied relentlessly. The grass around her swayed gently in the afternoon wind. 

"I..I am fine." Sigma responded. Master Wu calmly stepped next to Quentin and looked at Sigma. 

"Thank you...that was a bold action to take, Sigma," The old man said kindly. "But after all the damage caused....why?" 

The Chief breathed out lightly and continued staring at the clouds passing by. 

"I came to this land in hope to grow my collection of stardust, for my own benefit. I didn't care for the other Kosmikiles." She gazed at the dark smoke floating through the air. "My own father died in an expedition crash, just like this one. The most memorable thing he used to say to me was...that the best way to defeat your enemy..." 

"...Is to make them your friend." Master Wu nodded calmly. 

"Before we crashed, I realised something," Sigma contemplated. "The girl has a gift - a gift that... wasn't given by me or anyone on my planet. It was from the universe itself. I wanted it so bad that I assumed it was rightfully mine. She managed to unlock the power of both the stone and the Sky Jewel. She created a staff to break my capsule, save your city...and save us both." 

Wu nodded gently with approval. He looked back at his students, who were joyous to see their seventh team member alive. 

"Thank you."