Chapter 4

Joe's pov

"So Miss Demi," I said looking up at Demi and tossing her a hacky sack as we continued our conversation. "What exciting things have you been up to?" I asked her.

"Not a lot honestly," she replied. "Just keeping myself busy but you know keeping myself healthy and happy. I've been working on music of course but other than that just kind of been taking a huge step back," she mentioned as she tossed the hacky sack back to me.

"That's good! That's what I like to hear!" I said excitedly.

"What about you? What have you a-and the guys been up to? Anything new?" She asked. "Career wise," she clarified.

We both knew she wouldn't dare ask about my marriage no matter how badly she wanted to. There was a fine line of what both of us were and weren't willing to talk about right now and we were just dancing around it. To be honest I'm just glad that she's willing to talk to me at all. After the way things had ended between us and the way I had started acting I knew I didn't deserve to even be in the same room as her.

"You know same old, same old. Always making music with my brothers," I told her.

"That's awesome," she said lighting up with a smile.

As I watched her smile my stomach twisted into a knot as I was wrecked with guilt about how I'd just left her in LITERALLY her most vulnerable hour.

"Think fast," Demi said before tossing the hacky sack to me and accidentally hitting me in the eye with it. "Oh my god! I'm so sorry!" She said covering her mouth in shock.

 "Oh my god! I'm so sorry!" She said covering her mouth in shock

I picked it up off the floor.

"It's okay," I said with a chuckle. "It was very well deserved anyway," I told her.

Just then her phone started ringing.

"Excuse me a second," she said answering it. "Hey Phil. No I'm still up at your old office. Oh, is that today? No, I-I'm on my way," she said before hanging up. "Hey, sorry about that. That's Phil. I forgot I have a movie audition to get to," she said as she began to gather her things.

"A movie? You didn't mention this a second ago," I said raising my eyebrows.

"Yeah, you know I've wanted to get back into acting for a long time and I finally got the opportunity. This time for another movie," she said.

"That's great Demi," I said with a smile. She deserved all the opportunities coming toward her at this time.

"Yeah, I better go though. It was nice talking and I hope you have a good one," she said before picking up her box and heading for the door.

"You too Dems," I said.

We both stopped and froze for a split second. Did I really just use her nickname that only I had called her? What a dick, I thought to myself.