Chapter 34

Joe's pov

"We need to talk, now," I told Sophie seriously as I pulled out the chair motioning for her to sit down.

I didn't want to play games with her and I really didn't feel like I had any time for her nonsense at all.
I meant what I said and I said what I meant. I was going to do the right thing and it would be unfortunate but it would be better than hurting her in the process.

"What now?" She asked sprawling herself across the dining room table as if I was wasting her time.

It was clear to me that she didn't want to have this conversation with me but that wasn't going to stop me from having it and doing what needed to be done

"Listen, there's no easy way to say this but I want a divorce," I told her bluntly.

"So you've mentioned," she said with a snort.

I looked around the room blankly unsure of how to respond. That wasn't the response I'd expected from her. I had expected tears or something. Maybe she was handling it a lot better than I thought. I mean, maybe we could actually walk away from this like friends.

"Okay, well, I guess I won't file until you're done with your cancer treatment but I've done a lot of thinking and I'm not going to move forward as far as children or anything go," I said to her bluntly.

Those words seemed to have caught her attention though as her facial expressions changed. Her eyes perked up. For once Sophie and I actually were now making eye contact and she maintained the eye contact with me for more than a split second as I spoke.

 For once Sophie and I actually were now making eye contact and she maintained the eye contact with me for more than a split second as I spoke

"I don't want to leave you feeling humiliated or alone. That's the last thing I want for you, okay? So I also won't be seeing Demi anymore while I live here. I just want you to do one favor for me, okay?" I asked her in the most genuine voice I could.

"What's that?" She asked finally looking away and breaking the eye contact.

"Please don't talk to the media anymore," I begged her. "Just keep our business between us and don't make up any rumors," I said.