Chapter 23

Joe's pov

I was floating on a cloud of confidence as I drove back home from Demi's house. I knew as soon as I got home I was beating the clock to rush and tell Sophie that I wanted a divorce. I had to tell her as soon as possible before she went out for the night and I didn't care if it put a damper on her plans. I loved Demi and I needed Sophie to know. I wanted to put this entire mistake of a marriage behind me and move on with the love of my life.

"Sophie! Sophie, where are you!" I called as soon as I walked into the door.

I rushed through every room in the house but couldn't find her when suddenly I saw her blonde locks sitting out by the pool. I decided to slowly walk out and approach her.

"Sophie?" I said.

She looked up.

"You stayed the night with her?" She questioned in a way that made it sound like she really already knew the answer.

I looked down at my feet as I realized this was just bound to happen. There was no easy way to say what I was going to have to say. I just had to rip it off like a bandaid.

"Sophie, I want a divorce. I'm filing first thing in the morning, okay? I-I love Demi and you can have anything in this house that you want. I just want it to be as easy as possible," I said being as truthful with her as I knew how to be.

She looked up at me as tears welled up in her eyes.

"I have brain cancer Joe," she said.

I blinked a couple times shaking my head.

"Wait, what?" I asked.

Had I heard her right?

"I've known for about a month now. That's why I've been doing all that cooking and stuff for you," she said looking down. "Trying to make up for loss tile and be a better wife," she said. "But I guess I'm not the one you wanted to begin with," she added as tears fell from her eyes.

I sighed as guilt filled my stomach like never before. I truly didn't want to be married to Sophie anymore but how could I divorce her and let her go on such a journey alone? I didn't know how to tell Demi about this. Oh God, and the tabloids. I could only imagine.

Demi Lovato Steals Cancer Patient's Husband

Or

Joe Jonas leaves wife Sophie Turner because she has Cancer for Demi Lovato - Decides drug problem isn't so Hard to Deal with After all

They would eat the story up. We wouldn't stand a chance. For some odd reason, all I could think about was how nice it would be to just spark up a joint right now and relax. Which reminded me of my first time ever smoking weed and how I should've known Demi needed me then...

Flashback

November 2008

Miley Cyrus's Sweet 16, Disneyland, Anaheim, CA