Chapter 32

Joe's pov

I looked around the huge church as I walked down the aisles and found a seat at the front row. The pews were still old fashioned and wooden. They still refused to get updated instruments or technology just like ten years ago when Demi and I attended. There was still a large mural of Jesus Christ himself and a cross on the stage with beautiful art and stained windows all over the place that was so captivating. Even though nothing in this church building changed it was comforting to know that I could come back here and know that some things would always stay the same.

I took a seat in the third pew to the left and and folded my hands. I didn't pray much anymore even though I was raised by a pastor in a Christian home and we wore purity rings and such. My faith was more of an internal thing now but with this decision I needed to make I needed to lean on a power and mind much higher than my own. I had to believe that God could help me make the right decisions.

"God, I know we don't talk much anymore," I said aloud to Him as if I were talking to an old friend. "Well, I know You never stop talking to me, I just stop listening. I just want to ask one thing. I want to apologize for making a joke out of marriage because I know you creates it to be special and I didn't marry her for the right reasons. I want to ask that You would just tell me the right thing to do. If You Punish me and make me be married to her forever, I understand. I deserve it," I said with a gulp.

Now here was the ballsy part.

"I just need a sign. If You could forgive me for what I did to Demi God and help me get out of this marriage, God I promise I will do whatever I have to do to be a better man to her. I promise," I said as tears fell from my eyes.

At this point to anyone I probably looked like an idiot. I needed a miracle based on my current circumstances. I was in need of a sign on what to do. Do I chase after what I truly want and get divorced? Or do I stay with my wife? It was a tough decision to make.

I felt a sudden pang or guilt in me for considering staying with Sophie based off of guilt alone based off of her sickness. I knew that was the conviction of God telling me that was just as bad as me staying with Demi when she was in her worst times because she needed me.

As I wiped my tears and walked back to my car I felt at peace knowing that God was going to make a way for Demi and I to be together. I got into my car and started and as I put my seat belt on I noticed something in the floorboard face down. I reached down to pick it up and saw it was a photo of Demi and I from when we had just broken up and decided to be friends. Outside of the exact church I had walked out of. The photo must've fallen out of the box Phil gave me and as I stared at it I knew this was my sign from God that Demi was my future and this photo was no accident.

Flashback

Flashback

March 2009

Toluca Lake, CA