Chapter 18

Joe's pov

"I'm home!" I yelled throwing my keys on the same table I always throw them on. "If anyone gives a fuck!" I added.

I immediately smelled some sort of garlicky aroma coming from the kitchen and I followed my nose all the way there. I was surprised to find Sophie in an apron stirring a pot of spaghetti sauce.

"Who are you and what have you done with my wife?" I asked in a sarcastic voice.

"What I can't cook for my husband now?" She asked.

I raised an eyebrow.

"You never do, so what do you want? Do you need me to help you bury a body or something?" I joked.

Sophie stopped stirring and leaned against the counter with her arms crossed. I could tell I'd actually hurt her feelings and decided to lay off the jokes now and be a little more sensitive, especially considering I'd just cheated on her.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be an ass," I said.

Sophie looked up at me with pleading eyes.

"I want to know the truth Joe," she said.

"What truth?" I asked her.

"Do you love her?" She asked me.

I sighed.

"Why are you doing this to me Sophie?" I asked with a groan.

"Doing what?" She asked acting all innocent.

I groaned again rubbed my faced because at this point I was stressed out.

"How can you just be married to me for nine months and steadily be out, put your career first, have sex with me maybe once every two or three months, we never see each other, never share a meal together, or anything like that and then I go outside of the marriage and you decide to start fucking acting like Betty fucking Crocker and bombarding me with questions like do I love the woman I've been with since I was eighteen years old," I said lashing out.

For such a smart woman she asked some really dumb questions.

"I-I just wanted to know," she said innocently.

I felt a pang of guilt in my chest. Now the question remained. Was I going to continue the plan Demi, Phil, and I came up with? Would Demi and I just remain friends? Would I just issue a public statement about our friendship? Would I remain faithful to my wife? That was the right thing to do I guess. At thirty years old I'd better start to do the right thing.

"Sophie," I said softly. "We're just friends," I told her.

And I meant it. We were just friends. Friends was good enough for me right now.

Just friends also took me to a trip down memory lane though. One that involved a song about Demi and I being Just Friends...

Flashback