Chapter 9

You are about to have a nervous breakdown on the way to the secret meeting room. Unfortunately your dad can see through your calm facade. He knows something is wrong.

"You doing okay?" He asks knowing your response would be a lie.

"Yup! Just have a lot of preparation for the festival!" You smile, no way you would answer truthfully.

As you open the passage to go to the secret room, Luffy goes down first. Shanks leaned down to your ear, "should I convince Luffy to leave?" He whispered, "I know the festival doenst have you this tense."

"No need" you say as you begin to descend the ladder.

Your father is confused and concerned but he follows down the ladder as well. To his utter shock, you pull off the wig as soon as you are all at the bottom. He tries to cover Luffy's eyes and you laugh.

"He knows dad."

Yous dad's eyes narrow "How?"

"I may have goofed a little"

Shanks takes a stereotypical unhappy dad type of stance and says "What kind of goof?"

"I made a bet I thought I couldn't lose." You say with your eyes on the floor. Luffy was being oddly quiet but you were thankful for that. His input wouldn't be helpful right now.

"A bet?" Your father says sternly.

"Luffy bet he could figure out who my famous parent is."

"And you didn't lie?" His sharp tone made you flinch.

"He saw me without the wig and he said my hair was the only thing keeping him from saying it was you in the first place... it is kinda hard to lie my way out of that."

Shanks sighed "What was the wager?"

"If he won..." you pause and take a deep breath, "if he won I join hi--"

"No." Your dad said firmly.

"Too late" Luffy spoke up at probably the worst possible time, "she agreed to the bet and lost. She is part of my crew now."

The air became heavy as the two men stared each other down. This is not going to end well. You can't have them coming to blows in this small space, they might destroy the foundation of the house.

"Hold up. Both of you need to calm down." You cut in, "I know it was a stupid bet but I am tired of being trapped on this island doing a job I don't want."

"Then tell ME that and sail with ME so you can be SAFE" your dad starts you raise his voice, "Don't make a stupid bet with someone YOU DON'T KNOW!"

His remarks made you angry. You had expressed your want to leave. You had asked to sail with his crew. He always said no. Something in you snapped in that moment.

"LIKE HELL YOU WOULD!"

"I WOULD TO!"

"HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU I WAS TIRED? HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I BROKEN DOWN FROM THE STRESS? YOU HAVE JUST MADE EXCUSES! NOW THAT I HAVE ANOTHER WAY OFF THIS ROCK YOU ARE STILL MAKING EXCUSES!" You scream, looking right in your father's eyes.

This is where you messed up. You lost your cool and now it wasn't two people at each other's throats. It was three. Your dad decided that words weren't the solution, he used his haki to try and make you waver. You exhibited signs of conqueror's haki as a child so he knew you could handle some. The unexpected attack made your stance falter but you stood right back up and sent it back to him. Then Luffy threw his stake into this silent haki fight. This action only made your dad angrier. He put more power into it and your body could no longer stay up. You hadn't passed out but you couldn't stand. Luffy caught you with one arm and supported you there while continuing to stare down Shanks. They increased again and you lost conciousness. After you were out Shanks stopped, prompting Luffy to follow.

"Monkey D. Luffy" Shanks spoke "You have some balls thinking you can take my most precious treasure. You really think I will let you take my baby girl away from this safe Island?"

"This isn't a home, it is a prison." Luffy responds flatly, "treating her as a treasured object is why she wants to leave. Why is her safety worth misery?"

"How dare you question how I protect my family!!" Shanks slammed his fist on the table.

"I can protect her and let her be free!" Luffy yells, "she can't even be FREE to be herself in her HOME!"

That struck a chord. Shanks fell to his knees, looking at the limp form of his precious daughter in the arms of someone else. Luffy was right.

"You had better protect her with your life" he spoke softly, "if she dies under your charge I will end your dreams right then and there." He reached forward and touched your head, "and if she ends up caught by her mother, get her back even if it costs your life. I will not have her sold off into a marriage for money and power."

"I will keep her safe" Luffy says, holding you close.

Shanks stands back up, "and there better not be any funny business! You hear me?!?! She may be running this island but she is only 17!"

Luffy tilted his head, "what?"

About this time is when you woke up to hear your dad say, "I don't want to hear i am going to be a grandpa until she is at least 26!"

"Dad!" You say, extremely embarrassed. You get out of the awkward position Luffy is holding you in, "what on earth did you talk about while I was out?!?!"

Luffy was confused. He doesnt seem to know what your dad is implying.

(To be continued)