Portals

"Is there a reason why we're heading to a different room today?" 1.1 asked.

Presently the two skeletons were following Dr. Catrone down one of the laboratory corridors, 1.1 having noticed a change in the usual path they traveled to get to the education rooms.

"You will see when we get there." Dr. Catrone replied.

"Oh, is it a surprise?!" 1.2 exclaimed. "Could we get a hint?"

"In a way, yes, it's a surprise. Hints though I can't give." Said Dr. Catrone. "You'll have to wait."

"Aw..." 1.2 disappointedly mused. "What do you think it might be, brother?"

"Hmm... To be honest, I'm not sure." 1.1 replied, thinking about it for a minute as they continued to walk. "Maybe we're going to meet a different person for some kind of different learning?"

"Maybe... Perhaps it's a gift?" 1.2 suggested.

"Err... That doesn't seem as likely." Stated 1.1.

Soon they noticed Dr. Catrone stop at a door at the end of the corridor. They watched as he pulled out some keys on a large ring and inserted one into the door, the room not having any fancy hand scanner like most. He jiggled the key and turned it, the door opening. He pushed it open and flicked on the light using a light switch to the side. He then entered the room, the two skeletons following behind him.

Both of their eyes widened at what they saw. In front of them was a giant mechanical, archway like structure of silvers, purples, and blacks. It had rough edges and was attached to a metal ramp that stretched the whole width of the average sized room, a computer of sorts sitting to the right side of the archway. Attached to this computer was a separate, smaller machine, that held a medium sized rectangular object - which unknown to the skeletons - was the portal gun.

"What is that thing?" 1.1 questioned, looking over every detail of the machine from afar.

"It's so cool!" 1.2 exclaimed, running over towards it, closely looking it over.

1.1 watched his brother closely looking at the machine, then he glanced over at the head scientist that presently stood at the computer to the side of the arch. Dr. Catrone glanced behind himself to see 1.1 glancing at him, then back at his brother. The head scientist smiled. The skeleton may not be one to show much emotion, but it was obvious he wanted a closer look at the machine.

"Just make sure not to touch anything." Said the head scientist, turning around to see 1.1.

The skeleton nodded in reply, then slowly approached the machine. He looked over every detail, taking it all in and exploring it just as his brother was doing.

Dr. Catrone glanced over at them every now and then, making sure they weren't doing anything they shouldn't. When he wasn't looking, he was setting up the machine to start the second phase of his experiment.

Within minutes, the machine was ready for launch, purple orbs that lined the outer edge of it's arch starting to glow white. The two skeletons noticed this and took a few steps away from the arch before wandering over towards Dr. Catrone, not looking away from the machine as they did so.

They stopped once they stood a foot away from the head scientist, both skeletons looking at him with an inquisitive expression.

"I'm assuming you wonder what this machine does." Dr. Catrone stated.

Both skeletons gave a small nod.

"Well, it's a complex idea to wrap one's head around, but there is more to this existence than this laboratory and what you've seen and read in books." Dr. Catrone began to explain. "There are other worlds out there more commonly known as different universes. These universes varying in multiple ways."