Chapter 9

We've been binge watching Grey's Anatomy since 1 and now it's 4:37. Cole has never been a fan of Grey's Anatomy, but this time he gave in so we got to watch as many as I wanted! 

I'm laying on my bed, leaning against the pillow with a blanket over me. Cole's right beside me laying on his back, so he's more looking up at the ceiling than the computer screen. But it doesn't really matter, he's here with me so I can't really complain. 

We've eaten so much pizza that the box's empty and laying on the ground where I tossed it. I look over at Cole again wondering if he's actually paying attention to what we're watching. As I turn my face to catch a glimpse of him, he's already looking at me. He catches my eye and offers me a smile. So I smile back at him.

I wiggle towards him and lay my head in the crook of his neck. I feel him tense under me with the sudden movement, but he soon relaxes and places a hand on my head. I smile at his touch and focus my eyes on Meredith doing her first solo surgery. 

All the scenes that pass by on the screen, doesn't go through my head. I'm looking at the screen, but I'm not focused on it. I'm focused on Cole's fingers tracing my hairline all the way down to my cheek. I shiver at his touch and in response, he pulls the blanket I'm wrapped in, up to my chin. I smile at the warmth and snuggle more into Cole. "Thanks Cole. I wouldn't know what I'd do without you."

It doesn't seem like he heard what I said, but the way he pulled me into him clarified that he heard me right. Giving up on trying to focus on the episode in front of me, I slowly close my eyes.

............................

I wake up to something under me shifting. It can't be the mattress since it can't move on it's own. So curiosity got the better of me and I open my eyes and see Cole trying to wiggle free. Sensing that I'm awake he says, "Hey, didn't want to wake you up, but I figured that you would want me to sleep in the other room." I nod at his words and roll over to my other side, so that my back's facing him.

I lay there, not sensing any movement. he still hasn't moved. but why? As I was about to encourage myself to roll over to ask him, the mattress moves and I hear the door close. So much for getting the answer to my question. I sign and slowly close my eyes, letting the darkness come over me.

............................

I wake up huffing and puffing. My lungs grasping for air. I lift my hand to my face and feel the sweat running down my face to my neck. As I lift my hand away I notice it shaking and quickly put it back to my side, not wanting to spread that whatever causing my hand to shake to the rest of my body. I roll over rot my side and open my eyes. All I see is blackness, the only presence of light is the sunlight trying to creep in from the window. 

I feel a shiver come over me and touch my arm. Still tender under my touch, the bruise is still coming in, but it's still not going to be gone for a while. Just remembering that it's there makes the blood in my veins pump, then my heartbeat gradually beats faster and faster. I feel myself cower under the sudden darkness in this room and pull the blanket over me. As if the blanket will protect from whatever it is that's making my adrenaline go rocketing sky high.

I squeeze my eyes closed and try to forget about everything around me. But then I see an arm reaching towards me, towards my arm with the still tender bruise. Not wanting it to get any closer I scream. And I scream and I scream.

I hear my door fly open, knocking against my wall and hear footsteps cautiously coming towards me. Wondering if it's the man with the arm reaching towards me, I tense up and stay silent, as if he'll never notice me. I hear him come closer and then he reaches the edge of my bed, he stops, breathing heavily. Then I hear his voice. 

"Dev. Are you alright?" I can recognize that voice anywhere, the gentleness in his voice being the main factor. I relax my body and slowly open my eyes, meeting his. Brown, honey colored eyes staring at me drowning in concern. We stay like that for awhile, him not saying anything and me not saying anything, only our eyes doing the talking. 

"Can you lay here with me? it's... I- I guess the phobia of the dark is still growing on me." I say with a wavery smile, not looking at his eyes. But what follows is complete silence. I should've known he wouldn't want to, I'm just being too girly right now.

"You know what. Nevermind, I'll be good-" I feel my bed move under me and look up. "No it's fine. I think I'm getting scared of the dark as well." Cole says with he arms under his head, looking up at the ceiling. I smile at his natural ability to know exactly what I need.

So I roll over and close my eyes.

"Goodnight Dev." I hear Cole whisper. Then I feel a finger tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. Thanking that it's too dark to see my face, I blush at his touch which he slowly takes back.

So there I am smiling like an idiot in the darkness, with a boy right beside me in bed. Never thought this would happen, but then again, I never thought last night was ever going to happen.