Chapter 13

our drive back was somewhat relaxing. all the windows were open with the loud music streaming along behind us. this time Cole was actually awake. we got to talk about ourselves, really focus on the subject. we rarely get to do that, but when we do, it's a blast.

Cole's someone I can talk to about anything. he's always there and forever will be for me. and me him.

but when we pulled into my parking lot, all of our chit chat seemed to die away. like we can sense the negativity floating in the air. as I park, I let the music play, not wanting to turn it off. ruining the moment.

we just sit there, in your moment, out mood. not moving, afraid that anything could take the moment away from us and never come back. I sit there, feeling the car move around me with the carbon manoxide flow away in the air.

I look over at Cole and see him looking out the window with a blank expression. I've always loved how he can get lost in the moment. whatever I do, he never asks questions and just goes along with it.

sensing my gaze on him, he turns his head to face mine. he smiles at me and I offer a smile back.

still not wanting to ruin the moment, I pull the key from the ignition, feeling the car suddenly stop beneath me. I sign and open the car door.

"Let's order some pizza tonight." Cole says, making any chance of the moment ever coming back, gone. poof.

pushing all the emotion I'm feeling aside I try to fake a cheerful tone in my voice, "Are you kidding me? We had that last night."

"So? I love pizza. there's no problem with that." he says with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

I let myself laugh, "For clarification, I never insulted pizza. I just want something else. like... chick fil a?" I say with a shrug.

"fine. nothing can beat that."

"that's exactly why I suggested it in the first place!" I say with a mocking smile, turn to him.

"oh really?" Cole says with a smirk on his face, stopping dead in his tracks.

"yep." I say looking into his eyes.

Cole takes another step closer, closing the distance between us.

I continue looking into his eyes, about to take another step closer when I hear someone call my name that I haven't heard in a long time.

"Robin. Is that you?"

I turn away from Cole and face in the direction I think the voice is coming from.

"idiot, wrong direction." I roll my eyes. and then it hits m, i know that voice.

Preparing myself, I turn the other direction and look at him.

"You've always had bad hearing." wearing a plain black shirt and blue pajama pants, he stands with a smirk on his face. just from looking at him, all the memories come back bring the emotion with them.

"Idiot." I mumble under my breath as I race to him and wrap my arms around his narrow but strong build. Letting myself grin from ear to ear. I feel his arms wrap around me, giving me a hug. then I realize he's gripping me and I'm gripping him to. like we're hanging on to each other as if we let go, the other's going to disappear.

I pull back and look at him. with brown curly locks on the top of his head, a huge grin on his face, with eyes the color of soft seaglass- changing colors depending on the light in the room- looking right back at me.

There he stands, my childhood best friend, Riley.

"Long time no see, huh?" he says with a nervous smile etched on his face.

____________________

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Yes it's a short chapter...