Chapter 12

as I slow down and drive into the park into the parking lot I turn down the volume and focus on finding a spot. once I do, I turn into the tiny spot and pull the key out of the ignition. 

"We're here!" I shriek happily and I look over at Cole leaning against the car door. his hair covering his eyes. the way the sunlight catches on the tangles makes my stomach flutter. he looks so peaceful there. With the sunlight angling his cheekbones, it makes him look innocent. 

Rolling my eyes at my ridiculous thoughts, I nudge him. trying to wake him up. 

me wakes up right away while rubbing his eyes, "We're finally here, huh? that car ride took so long, you drive like a snail."

I elbow him in the arm and open the door, hopping out. "Time to get some ice cream!"

I look over at Cole, still struggling to keep himself awake, but he opens the door anyways. I rush to get in line and look over the menu stapled to the walls. 

"No wonder you were craving this. I remember we used to come here all the time and get Italian ices." I hear Cole say behind me, right into my ear. moving the hair on my neck, making it stand on end.

I turn around and smile, "You finally cracked the mystery." turning back around to look at the menu, "so what are you going to get?"

"hmmmm. either the rocky road or the plain chocolate one in a cone."

"You know what. I might get the lemon Italian ice." I say, still deciding whether I should get that or the blue raspberry one.

"You're going to get the blue raspberry one." Cole says with a smirk on his face.

"You don't know what I want." I say, lifting my chin up, not wanting to show he may be right. I've always loved the blue raspberry flavor, but I might want to try something else.

once we make it up to the ice cream boy, I quickly make up my mind for what flavor I want.

"May I have a rocky road in a cake cone?" Cole says with his hands in his pockets.

The boy, Will, assuming that's his actual name since that's what it says on his name tag, nods and looks towards me. "And what can I get for you?"

I smile back at him and decide quickly, "Umm, may I get a medium sized blue raspberry Italian ice please?"

I hear Cole mumble something under his breath and I know it's about my order. and I feel my cheeks warm up slightly before I calm myself down.

he nods and clicks a few buttons on his register, "10.48 please."

I look over at Cole and offer a smile. I didn't bring any money, but I hope Cole did.

he chuckles and sticks his hand in his pocket and fishes out a 10 dollar bill with another dollar 5. "keep the change." 

"should've known you would've forgotten to bring money."

we walk over and take a seat near an old couple enjoying a sundae. 

"I think I want a dog. or maybe even a rabbit."

"what!?" 

I look over at Cole and see his eyes widen at the mention of pets.

"relax. I won't get them now. maybe in a year."'

Cole shakes his head, "I'm allergic to dogs."

"so? I'll get one with hair. or just a rabbit. yeah I think a rabbit will do."

"you're crazy." Cole says shaking his head again, making his hair go all over the place.

"I know." I look up at him, making eye contact, and smile. 

a smile grows on his face, making him look away.

"rocky road and a blue raspberry Italian ice." I quickly stand up and walk over to get out ice cream.

as I do, I turn around and see the older couple talking to Cole. I wonder what they're saying to him.

I grab a spoon for me and a couple of napkins, you never know when your ice cream will start melting.

I look over my shoulder again, still trying to grab the napkins from the dispenser, and see Cole looking at me. but then i turn my gaze slightly and see the couple staring at me too.

blushing, I turn my face away and focus on grabbing the napkins. 

winning the battle, I walk back over to the table and place out ice cream down on the table.

not meeting Cole's eyes, pretending to grab a napkin from the pile I happen to have brought over. "What have you been talking about with them?" I say, motion with may head to the older couple sitting a couple feet away from us.

"oh nothing. just wanted to say how much I look like their grandson. " he says with a blush. which almost instantly goes away, leaving me to contemplate if I even saw it in the first place.

"oh." I leave it at that and focus on eating my ice cream.

I wonder if they were actually talking about that and why were they all looking at me. I push that thought out of my head. Cole wouldn't hide things from me if it wasn't important. so it must not be. 

still trying to push the thought away I turn my attention to my Italian ice...

oh my god. this is aMaZiNg!

_____________________

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

what do you think they were talking about?