Chapter 1: Welcome to Hawkins

Hellooooo! So this is the little one-shot fanfic I wrote in 2020 when I should have been paying attention in virtual school. Anyways, I thought I'd come back and revise my old freshman-year writing with some (hopefully) better writing skills. Don't know if I will continue the story because I got burnt out and was bored with it. Maybe the fire will reignite. Maybe it won't. I'll find out later, I suppose. So anyway, if you are a returning reader, welcome back, please don't get your hopes up. If you're new here, hi, I'm Logan and I never finish my passion projects. 

Y/N= your name

------------------------------------------

The first thing you feel when you wake up is how knotted your back is. Then, you blink into consciousness as you realize that this is not your room, and definitely not your mattress. After a brief moment of panic, your boxes of clothes and old memories remind you that this is your new home. Hawkins is your new home.

The morning air sends goosebumps down your leg as you leave the warm recluse of your bed. After rummaging through the moving boxes for some time, you find the clothes you were looking for: A pair of faded blue jeans, an old Harley Davidson shirt, and your favorite pair of worn Converse.

As you walk down the undecorated hallway and make your way down the stairs, you smell sizzling bacon and fresh pancakes.  You enter the dining room kitchen and see your mom setting the table with breakfast while your dad reads the paper and sips his coffee.  Before you can make it to the table, your younger brother comes running by you to sit at the table, about half his body colliding with yours.

"Robert, you little brat!" You exclaim as you barely catch yourself from falling and sit down at the table.  In all his 13 years of being alive, he's annoyed you just about every day.  "A million miles per hour" is how your mom liked to describe him, but Dad preferred to blame his recklessness on the fact that he's "just a boy". You watch as he scarves down his breakfast, his shaggy dirty blonde hair almost dipping into his syrup.

"Robert, watch your hair," your mom says as she places a dish of pancakes and bacon in front of you. She sits down at the table with her own food and begins eating. "So, are you kids excited for the first day of school?"

"Yeah, I heard there was an alien invasion in Hawkins!" Robert exclaims as he jumps up from the table and continues to get ready, his fork clattering against his plate. "I also heard the CIA got involved!"

"Oh, Robert.  That can't be true, there's no such thing as aliens."  Your dad says without looking up from his paper.

You get up from the table and discard the remnants of your soggy pancakes. "I'm not excited," You complain as you scan the room for your backpack, "we're literally starting on the second month of school.  Why couldn't we have started earlier?"  

"Sweetie, you know how it is with your father's work. It can be... spontaneous," Your mom reassures  you as you leave to get the car keys. "Robert, come on! It's time to go!" She yells across the house to Robert, who has now turned on the television and completely forgot about his first day.

Scatter brain.

---

You start up your dad's hand-me-down Ford as your brother hops in the passenger seat.  You wanted a Pontiac but your dad said you had to buy it with your own money.  You turn on the radio and fumble around with the channels. Eventually, something other than static comes through and, now satisfied, you peel out of the driveway.

"I really hope the cafeteria has chocolate pudding."  Robert says as he stares out the car window.

"I'm sure there is." You look back at him, concerned about his priorities. "So are you trying out for the basketball team this year, then?"

"Probably.  But I'm probably gonna be the tallest kid in the grade again."  He lets out a sigh, which blows some of his fringe out of his eyes. Though, excitement quickly replaces the disappointment as the Hawkins school systems come into view.

---

"Meet me here no more than ten minutes after school, okay? I don't want you getting lost." You say as you depart from your brother.

"Yeah yeah I promise." He yells to you as you walk towards the high school.  

You get to the front doors past the rest of the students and into the main office.  You walk up to the desk, "Hi, I'm new and they said I should come here first?" you ask a tired secretary.  She motions towards the seats to your left and you go sit down.  From your seat, you hear student chatter, scuffing sneakers, and what seems to be one singular car screeching into the parking lot outside.

The door whips open and a guy with voluminous brown hair and a contagious smile enters the office. "Hey, I'm Steve and I'll be giving you your tour."  He smolders as he puts his hands on his hips.

"I'm Y/N." You say as you stand up and shake hands with him.

"Welcome to Hawkins, Y/N," he says, ushering you out of the office.

-------------------------------

Hey, guys.  If you've made it this far it means you've read chapter 1 so far of my new story.  Drop a like or a comment if you want me to continue the story. If this even gets a few likes then I will probably make a chapter two by 5/6/20.  Thanks, I'll see you next chapter!

(P.S.  we will be meeting Billy next chapter and it's gonna get interesting)