Chapter 12: Madmax

Hey guys!  Thanks for being patient for this chapter, I was away for Father's Day. As always,

y/n = your name

y/l/n = your last name

*CURSING*

Enjoy!

---

You pull up to Billy's house and park in the empty driveway.  You grab your small purse stuffed with money last-minute.  You walk to the house and take a deep breath, standing at the door.  Finally, you knock and wait in the afternoon silence.  Cars drive by and bees buzz around the home. Though an argument booms through the door and you can't help but cringe at the thought of Max and Billy fighting.  Your thoughts are interrupted by an agitated redhead swinging the door open.

"Billy!" She looks you up and down while calling behind her. "There's some girl here."

"Wait," You stop Max in her tracks as Billy approaches the door and stands behind Max. "I'm not here for Billy. I'm here for you."

---

You sink into an old couch in the living room while Max stands across from you with her arms crossed.

"So... who are you exactly?" She taps her finger against her arm.

"I'm Robert's sister." You extend your arm for a handshake. "Y/n."

Max hesitantly shakes your hand. "I'm Max. Max Mayfield."

"Okay," You say, breaking the handshake. "I know this sounds weird, but I wanted to get to know you." Billy stands in the other room, making himself a snack while listening in on the conversation. "I already know Billy."

You glance at Billy, who perks up at his name being spoken.  Max sits next to you, and you turn to face her. "So what?" She says and shrugs her shoulders.

"I was thinking we could hang out... maybe go get some pizza?" You smile, trying to break the tension that fills the room.

"I think I'll pass... I don't even know you." Max gets up and starts to walk away.

"Max." Chimes in Billy from the other room with anger rising in his voice.

"What, shithead?" She yells back at Billy.

"Don't be such a brat," Billy says through gritted teeth.

"Why not?" Max says sarcastically. "What, should I just run off with a complete stranger?"

"That's what you did last week." Billy puts down what he's doing and walks towards Max. You get up and stare, speechless. "And you ruined my damn car." He chuckles to himself, almost amused by Max's defiance. "And now you're being a bitch to the only person around here who doesn't leave people on the floor, but actually takes care of people."

"Billy!" You interject, standing between them. "Don't call Max a bitch. She's not." You look back at Max sympathetically. "She seems really cool."

You step back and take a deep breath.  Max turns away from Billy and faces you. "So... pizza?" She offers with a laugh.

"Sure. We can take my car." You say and grab your stuff from the couch.

You walk to the door with Max when Billy grabs your arm and stops you. "Y/n," he says softly. "Are we good?"

"Yes," You say and grab his hand reassuringly. "We're good, Billy."

---

Max sits in the passenger seat of your car, feeling the seatbelt. "So," She looks up at you. "You and Billy, huh?"