Not The One : Murdock

Every time you looked at Murdock, or when you'd be working together undercover on a mission, or when he would send letters from the Mental Hospital begging for the team to come and get him, you had butterflies in your stomach.

It was the unnatural feeling that you had known him for an eternity, the desire to be close to him for the rest of time.

You were best friends, although you felt like you made things occasionally awkward and stopped talking for a time. He would pick up where you left off, reassuring you that you weren't awkward, that he really did enjoy talking to you.

This instilled a dream that you had a chance.

Of course, you knew he didn't feel the same way. He had Cindy-orwhateverhernamewas- what's her face back from when he had been kidnapped, and they had a thing going there for a while. You weren't sure how things were now, but you'd given up the hope that it was different for the sake of your sanity and well being.

Not that the state of your well being was great in the first place.

"Come on, (Y/N)! You feeling alright? We're only halfway up to where the waterfall is!" Murdock called from ahead of you, stopping and holding out his hand.

You smiled and took it, blushing at the feeling of being so close to him. "Yeah! Sorry, I got lost in thought. The mountains are a great place to think."

"They sure are, aren't they?"

"Hurry up, ya fool! I'm hungry!"

"Coming, BA! I was just making sure that (Y/N) was okay." Murdock let you go ahead of him, watching carefully at the ground in front of you, studying it to make sure you wouldn't trip.

The usually boisterous and excited Captain grew quiet. He felt at the letter in his pocket, taking it out and fiddling with it between his fingers. There was so much on that piece of paper in his scrappy handwriting.

After some time of hiking and BA's continual complaints, the team arrived at a waterfall. You noticed how Murdock stood close by you, increasing the butterfly count in your gut. You silently wished your false hope would turn true, but the reality of the situation was stronger.

————————————

The serene and relaxing cabin trip turned South quicker than expected, and the military police were called. The A-Team was dealing with a group of money-hungry mercenaries and tried to stop them before Decker would show himself.

The road was narrow and the turns were sharp. So when Murdock was standing a distance away from the actual bad guys, he was not paying attention when the cop cars that weren't equipped for the mountains turned the corner at an incredibly high speed.

When you ran across the road to check on Murdock's position, he met you halfway. The only problem was, they came around and slammed on their brakes, failing to stop in time, making contact with Murdock in the meantime.

His unconscious form flew far enough to land just at the A-Team's feet, alerting them of the military police's presence.

Colonel Decker made his usual appearance, claiming that hitting him was an accident. "An innocent bystander" he said, all while you stared down at Murdock from where you were hiding in the trees, fearing that moving him from where he lay would injure him more. However, you wanted nothing more than for him to jump up like he usually did and say that he was fine. But you wanted to tell him everything you felt, and that he was going to be okay.

He had to be.

The police, underestimating the A-Team as per usual, were fooled and that allowed you to put Murdock in the van, and get the rest of the team out of trouble and into safety, defeating and turning in the mercenaries while high-tailing it out.

You didn't say much on the way to the hospital, and that worried the team, including BA, who never worried about anybody. You just watched and waited, hoping that Murdock would be okay.

——————————

"And that's when we pause and take a moment to reflect on how long it's been since this incident."

"Aww, come on, Murdock, it's only been six months! You have to finish the story! The ending is so good!"

Murdock laughed at Face's remark and looked at you, comfortably resting in his arms.

"Go on, Face is a sucker for romantic dealings."

You had to admit, Murdock's laugh was tonic for the recent stress that the team had gone through, with BA and Murdock's unexpected and wrongly-accused-but-still-arrested- appearance prison camp and nearly being killed the usual five or six times.

But here the team was, taking a well deserved break from working for just a week or so.

The rest of that night in the hospital, needless to say, had been spent in confessions and laughter and something you hadn't expected - love.

—————————————