Christmas : Team

Hannibal sat at the window, patiently watching the snow fall.

Blizzards were common in the spot around the cabin, but this year the snow seemed heavier and more dense than all the years before.

Hannibal squinted at the clock on the wall, then carefully adjusted in the rocking chair to a more comfortable position.

"Do you think she'll be fine?"

"Hannibal, you worry so much every year, and every year she makes it. She'll be fine. She's strong; she learned it from the best." Face put his hand on Hannibal's shoulder.

"The storms seem to get worse every year. I think I have room to worry."

Face chuckled, and together, they continued gazing through the window.

—————————————

"Papa! Papa! Papa! Wake up! It's Christmas!"*

Hannibal stretched slowly and dramatically, trying to hide his excitement as best he could with you jumping on the bed.

"Come on, papa! You have to get up! We have to see if Santa came!"

He laughed. "You remember what we have to do before we do anything else on Christmas?"

You smiled, and ran to the hope chest at the end of the bed. You carefully opened it, and pulled out a picture. Walking slowly to the edge of the bed, Hannibal picked you up and sat you next to him.

"Hi mama! I've been really good this year, I helped dad a lot, and I helped my uncles a lot too! Face needed a hug the other day and I gave it to him. BA is always grumpy, so I don't get to help him a lot, but that's okay." You smiled at Hannibal, who nodded for you to continue.

"Murdock is always so happy, and he colored with me yesterday! And papa, well, he's my favoritest of all! I try to listen and be good so I can make him proud. I guess that's all, I'm so excited for Christmas, but it would be even more awesome if you were here."

You smiled at Hannibal, who was in tears, and you noticed the small crack in the doorway where three other sets of eyes were glistening.

Hannibal quickly wiped them away, and you swung you arms around his neck and hugged him.

"Good job, (Y/N). I'm proud of you. Mama would be proud of you too."

You nodded, and put the picture back in the chest.

"Can we go now now, papa?"

"Of course we can!"

You stopped at the door, and gasped.

"What is it, (Y/N)?"

"Papa, what if I haven't been as good as Santa wanted me to be?"

He knelt next to you, taking your shoulders into his hands. "You know what I think?"

You shook your head.

"I think you've been so good this year... that you need... tickle time!"

You giggled with a happiness that could be bottled up.

If only time could pause and stay in this moment forever.

——————————————

"What, she isn't here yet?"

"No, BA, she isn't." Murdock reluctantly let go of the present in his hands and put it back under the tree.

"Hannibal's by the window, like usual."

"Yeah, he usually is nowadays. We don't have as many missions anymore, so he waits. Especially at Christmas. I'm surprised he hasn't gone crazy like you, ya fool."

"Hey! I've gotten more mellow over the years, you've got to give me some credit in the sane department."

They laughed, although their smiles slowly faded as they looked around the space adorned in decorations.

——————————————

"Hey, you going to have some cookie with your sprinkles?"

"Of course! I just know Murdock likes his with lots of sprinkles."

Face stopped decorating his cookie and watched you carefully put the lid back on the container.

"Oh? Well, Ms. Cookie Connoisseur, I trust your judgement."

"Thanks. You see, Murdock likes lots of sprinkles, BA doesn't like a lot of frosting, Papa likes an equal amount of both."

"What do I like?"

You looked over at his cookie, and smiled.

"You like simple cookies. Not too much of anything, just the right amount."

Face smiled, and put the cookies on a plate.

"There we go. Now we can make the eggnog, and go get Uncle Murdock from the hospital."

"Can I play little Fan again? That was so much fun last year."

"Sure, my dear. Of course." He helped you down from the stool like a princess, and you giggled, running to get the ingredients.

———————————————

When the wheels of your car were heard on the driveway, the team nearly tripped over themselves to get to the door.

You smiled when they all stood at the door, all except Hannibal, but they took your coat, and the gifts in your arms momentarily as you took your shoes off.

"Murdock, Face, BA, it's so good to see you!" They each got their hug, and you turned when they parted to see Hannibal.

"Hello papa."

"Hello (Y/N)." You ran into his open arms and hugged him.

"I've missed you papa. How've you been?"

"I've missed you too. I've been alright, but I'm better now that you're here."

You smiled, and took the presents from your uncles to put them under the tree.

"I've been meaning to come and visit sooner, but my job is keeping me busy and today was the first day I had off."

"It's alright. You're here now." Face smiled.

"Finally! After an eternity, the whole family is reunited for Christmas."

"It wasn't since last year, Murdock." Hannibal chuckled.

"Yeah, but it was an eternity."

"No it wasn't."

"Yes, it was."

"No it wasn't."

"Yes, it was, BA."

"Shut up ya fool!"