Chapter 10: Nightmares

Last updated: 08/05/20 (dd/mm/yy)

----------

~No one's POV~

After discovering that spell, (y/n) was shocked, but determined to test it out and end her sister's pain. Hearing the bell, she closed the book and stood up, heading back for class. As soon as she settled down in class, a familiar voice echoed through her head.

You're weak, (y/n)! Useless!

The voice of Valister's. She continued to throw more hurtful comments at (y/n), causing her to slowly fall into a devastating world. "S-stop..." She mumbled, loud enough for Nathaniel to hear. Worried, he turn over too her, seeing her fear-stricken face. "(y/n)...? A-are you o-okay...?" (y/n) turned her face away from Nathaniel, not wanting him to see her in so much pain. The voice rang out in her head again, and she had begun shaking. "Go away... leave me alone..." She mumbled again, slightly louder this time, her voice shaking. Nathaniel was clearly very worried for (y/n), but he didn't know what to do. Soon after, tears gathered at (y/n)'s eyes. Valister wouldn't leave her alone.

I wish you were never my sister!

Ms Bustier had seen (y/n) looking towards the window, her body shaking ever so slightly, her face scrunched up. She asked if (y/n) was fine, turning all attention to her. Right there, (y/n) had reached her limits. She jolt up, clutching her head. "Stop! Leave me alone! Please!" She screamed, "I'm sorry! Just stop!" Suddenly, her eyes fell shut, and she began falling. Nathaniel caught her just before her back landed roughly on the chair. Worried, Marinette volunteered to bring (y/n) to the nurse, and was given permission.

After 10 minutes of check-up, the nurse announced that (y/n) was fine, but required rest, and suggested for Marinette to stay with her in her dorm. When they got to the dorm, Marinette had laid (y/n) on her bed, covering her with the blanket. She had then stayed by her side, occasionally sighing and combing her hair. (y/n) suddenly had another breakout, and was crying again. "Stop! Please! I beg you! It hurts!" she screamed. Having a bad feeling in her gut, Marinette looked around in the room, catching sight of an akuma that managed to squeeze its way through Nathaniel's slightly open window. Gasping, she immediately asked Tikki to check if anyone was near.

After being sure they were alone, Tikki flies back to Marinette. They nod at each other, before transforming. Ladybug immediately pulls out her yoyo and capture the akuma. Releasing it, she realised that the akuma was targeting (y/n). Worried, she detransformed, Tikki going to (y/n)'s pouch, finding Snowlyx huddled within. Helping her to the bed, Tikki asked what was wrong with (y/n). "I-I don't know, s-she's just v-very negative..." Snowlyx whispered.

At that moment, (y/n) jumps up, awoken by who knows what. Mari immediately went over and hugged (y/n), drawing circles on her back in an attempt to calm her down. She soon calmed down, and explained, "I... I heard Valister, m-my sister, Rue's inner f-fighting self that g-got akumatized to p-protect her... I..." she mumbled again. Marinette gasped, realising that Valister must have used telepathy to get to her and say all those. But why would she do that all of a sudden..? (y/n) had read her mind, and began explaining the dream she had the night before.

After hearing the nightmare, Marinette sighed, and hugged (y/n) again, telling her to get more rest. When she was laid down in bed again, Mari went to the kitchen and got some (a/f) for (y/n), giving it to her. After finishing up the simple but fulfilling meal, (y/n) got up and went to take a quick shower and changed into a long-sleeve shirt and shorts. It was still lesson time, so Nathaniel wasn't back just yet. After the shower, (y/n) did her best to convince Mari to go back to class, but Marinette wouldn't budge. In the end, she only left after Nathaniel came back from class, clearly worried for his crush.

{Time skip brought to you by Zilaxia's motivation :>}

~Nathaniel's POV~

I was half asleep, being worried for (y/n) most of the time, when I suddenly felt warmth behind me. Turning around, I came face to face with (y/n) herself, curled up on my bed. Blushing, I asked what she was doing, and she seemed shocked for a second before apologising, "Sorry... I couldn't sleep at all so..." Remembering how terrified she was last night, I guess I can understand that she wasn't doing very well recently. "I-it's okay. Are y-you feeling any b-better?" I ask, wanting to know if she's recovering. If she is, there isn't much progress as she is still terrified, but surely I can help her with that. Having a dull hue of light shining from downstairs, I could see (y/n) bite her lip, and explained that she had another nightmare. I had no words to explain how bad I felt for her, so I pulled her close to me and cradled her in my arms. I felt her breathing hitching for a second, but soon she rested her head on my chest. I instinctively placed my head on hers.

"I promise to end your pain and whoever caused it..." I whispered to no one in particular, but I think she heard me, because she let out a weak laugh, before going into sleep.

----------

~Master Fu's POV~

I see that (y/n) has finally found someone who cares for her deeply and is willing to risk his life for her. I think this Nathaniel boy is suitable to get a Miraculous. For such an artistic boy, I will consider giving him... This Miraculous has never been touched, as the kwami turns away owners that he deems 'not right for the job'. Maybe it's time I give him a try, I have a feeling he will be accepted. "Master, are you going to give Nathaniel Kurtzberg a Miraculous?" Wayzz asked, seeing me deep in thought. I sigh. "Yes, I'm considering the Miraculous of... I'll confirm this by tomorrow." Tired, I stop my tracking and went to rest.