My Hero.

"Owwwww!" I cried out in pain, tears prickle my eyes before flowing out none stop.

Hurried footsteps come running up the stairs and Hayden bursts into my room alarmed.

"What happened?" He demands worriedly looking at me curled up on the floor holding my knee and shaking.

"I.. ffff-fellll....there's bbb-blooodd evv-erywheeereee." I wail.

"Let me see, I need to see it so I can help."

I move my hand so he can see my cut knee, looking down at the red blood I whimper.

"Oh miss Rae, it's not so bad, it's just a little cut, come with me and I'll get you patched up." He says soothingly and I take a proper look at my knee. He's right, it's just a small graze.

Instead of me standing and having to limp, Hayden scoops me up and carry's me in his arms.

I snuggle closer into his strong chest for comfort and enjoy the free ride to the bathroom where he sits me on the counter and gets the first aid kit from under the sink.

"Okay, this might sting a little bit but you can be a big girl can't you." He smiles charmingly at me and I focus on his face rather than the cloth he's bringing closer to my knee.

I let a little puff of pain out but keep it together so I can show Hayden how strong I am.

"Good girl, it's almost over and then we can go play." He finishes cleaning me up and then puts a strawberry patterned band aid on my knee, then he lifts me off the side and carry's me back to my room.

"Would you like me to get you some ice cream because you were so good?" He asks grinning proudly at me.

"Chocolate with sprinkles please." I say beaming at him, my cut finally off my mind.

He leans down and kisses the top of my head, something he'd taken to doing recently after he'd seen my dad do it to me, before leaving the room.

I sit and patiently wait for my reward, Delilah, mom and dad were at a teacher parent meeting to discuss her grades so it was just me and Hayden in the house.

They felt comfortable leaving Hayden to look after me, now he'd been with us for six months.

My door swung open but it was only Rover coming in and checking on me, he jumps on my bed and snuggles closer, as if he somehow knew I'd been hurt and needed the comfort.

When Hayden returns he suggest we watch a movie until my parents and sister get back, I agree and he slides over to the other side of my bed, scooting close to me and Rover.

Hayden cracks up at a funny scene and I look at him grinning, he was my best friend and I loved it when he was happy, I join in laughing and continue to eat my ice cream.

He was the best birthday present I could have ever gotten.