This can't be happening

"Rae, can I speak to you alone for a minute?" He tries again when I don't turn to him.

I want to say "No!" I want to tell him not to let my mothers fears cloud the love he feels for me. I want to go back in time and not even bring our relationship up.

Instead I rise from the chair and start to walk a distance away so we won't be heard off my parents.

He follows.

"I know what you're going to say..." I start.

"And what's that?"

"That we shouldn't be together. That my moms right and there's no future for us and I should find a human to be with."

Hayden looks down at me in deep sorrow and I almost break down. I was right. I didn't know what to say to change his mind, he hadn't even said anything yet but I knew from the look in his eyes; this was the end.

"Hayden... I thought you loved me." I try to choke back the tears but they start the fall slowly anyway. The anguish on his face seeing me upset tells me he does love me. Loves me too much to let me stay with him.

He doesn't realise that that's all I want and I wouldn't stop loving him.

"I do love you sunshine... but this was a bad idea, we never should have started this. I know you're not thinking of the future yet but you should be, because there is no future with me and I know I'm not good enough for you."

I shake my head about to disagree but his eyes sharpen and something about his expression stops me from speaking.

"There's nothing you can say to change my mind about this. I'm not human sunshine, and that's what you deserve. I'm a machine. Androids and humans aren't meant to be together and now we know why. This was never going to work long term... so let's stop now while we can still get over it." His words are harsh and I feel myself flinch.

It was too late for me, I'd never get over it... but it sounded like Hayden would manage to forget what we meant to each easily enough.

"If... if that's what you want." I manage to get out without my voice cracking. "I'd... like you to leave the apartment then. It'll be easier to forget you that way." My voice is emotionless and sounds as robotic as you'd expect an Androids to be.

Hayden nods without looking at me. His eyes refuse to catch mine and a part of me is grateful, I would probably breakdown if I looked into his gorgeous unique eyes right now, especially if I saw indifference.

"Goodbye." He whispers, and then leans closer to me to kiss my forehead. My eyes close at the contact and I want the moment to last forever.

Please don't leave me.

I stand still long after he's gone and only move when I feel my father stand beside me.

They'd heard everything.

"Rae, sweetie. I'm so sorry."

I shake my head. "I'm going to head home. Tell Delilah I'll come by tomorrow if she's still here when I wake up."

"Let me drive you." Dad says and I realise Hayden would never be around to drive me home from now on. Good job I'd gotten my licence - even if I'd barely used it.

I wasn't sure if he had taken the car though, so I agree to let dad drive me home and without saying a word to my mother, leave the hospital.

It doesn't take long to get back to my parents, but I'd been zoned out, so time seemed to hold no meaning at the moment. I just wanted a warm shower, to climb under my duvet and to sleep. To forget.

Everything in the house reminded me of him though. I wait until dad leaves to go to the hospital and pick mom up, that's when I finally break down.

I cry on my way to the bathroom, during my shower, while I get ready for bed. I cry until there are no more tears left in me and then I pass out. Darkness my new friend.