We need to talk.

For the next few weeks, while I study up for finals before the school year is out. Hayden is studying everything he can find on artificial intelligence and human biology. Trying to work out how exactly he came to be.

He speaks to Killian often over the phone and learns more about what he's capable of, any new information he finds he confides in me.

"Slap me." He demands one day and I look up from my phone. He's lost the plot. He's finally cracked.

"Come again?"

"Apparently I have pain receptors that I didn't even know about... I've never tested the theory before. Obviously I know I can feel things because how else would I be able to touch stuff... but I never thought about being able to be hurt. Do it. Slap me." He's far too excited about the prospect of being able to feel pain. 

"Isn't there another way we can test this theory?" I ask, unsure if I'd actually be able to hit him.

"Just do it. Don't be a baby." He goads. I shrug before standing up. I lightly tap the side of his cheek and he gives me an incredulous look. 

"Is that all you've got. Come on. Hit me with your best shot... fire away." He sings and I laugh at his ridiculousness.

I pull my hand back and trying to put as much strength into it, slap the side of his face. His eyes shoot open in surprise.

"Ow. Jesus!" He flinches, touching the side of his cheek. I'm holding my hand at the tingling sting I also feel but am quick to push my own pain aside and check on him.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry, are you okay. You told me to do it."

He's laughing now, softly poking his cheek. "No it's fine! It's great even."

I cup his cheek with my palm and stroke my thumb across it to soothe the sting. His eyes connect with mine and turn a shade darker.

I drop my hand and cough awkwardly. "Well, now we know you can get hurt. Let's try to actively avoid that."

.........

It's getting closer to the end of summer, and Hayden has visited Killian and his Lab a few times, now aiding him on his research.

Mom and Dad are excited about his new discovery and aren't bothered that he's cutting back on his household duties. They see him like a family member as well, and knowing he can feel things... like, really feel things. They want him to be able to figure everything there is to know about how he came to be.

I visited the lab once with Hayden, but it creeped me out seeing artificial organs in glass cases, so I said as long he didn't mind going on his own that I would sit these out and let Hayden go alone. He trusted Killian and I trusted him so I wasn't too worried about leaving him.

..........

I was spending an evening with Jacob, something we'd been doing less and less, I knew we were closing in on the end of our relationship. Jacob knew it too, but neither of us seemed too sad about this fact.

"We'll still be friends right?" He asked after we'd had the conversation I had been waiting for. Although he'd been the one to suggest we end it. I completely agreed with him and his reasons.

"Oh for sure. You're not getting rid of me that easily Jacob Linetti. It's better this way though, you're right. We can end things and keep our friendship in tact before you head off to college and feel tied down because of me." I say maturely.

"I wouldn't have ever cheated on you." He goes to defend but I raise my hand to interrupt.

"I know that, but I want you to be able to experience college properly and we would have barely seen each other. What would have been the point in continuing this."

"Maybe you're right. I'm still going to care about you, and you know I'd do anything for you no matter what." He smiles at me affectionately.

"Want to have some goodbye sex?" He teases winking at me and I laugh pushing him away.

"I think we can skip that and just get back to being friends" he nods, chuckling gruffly before scooping me up in a hug.

I lean on him and we continue to watch the movie.

"Oh Jacob." I say lifting up and looking him in the eyes "there's something I've been meaning to tell you... you're a slob, and when you finish eating you need to learn to throw your rubbish away. Not fling it across the room." I peck his lips and lean back down.

I feel his rumbling laugh underneath me.

"Got it baby. Thanks for the tip." He kisses the top of my head.

A surge of relief flows through me, knowing our friendship was intact. It was better we weren't together anymore.

Now I wouldn't feel so guilty about my growing feelings for Hayden...