v. the sands of the friendzone

"OKAY I HAVE NEVER SEEN YOU ON YOUR PHONE THIS MUCH," Rose complained, eyeing her friend wearily over the rim of her cocktail glass

"OKAY I HAVE NEVER SEEN YOU ON YOUR PHONE THIS MUCH," Rose complained, eyeing her friend wearily over the rim of her cocktail glass. Their Wednesday lunchtime drinks was a weekly favorite of the duo, but it was somewhat stifled this week by Lennon's excessive texting. The tradition had once been initially suggested by Rose, who always had a half day from work on a Wednesday. Working as a part time teacher-in-training in a primary school, her words verbatim were 'I need a drink after a half week of those little bastards.'

"Who are you chatting to?" She continued when Lennon had the good graces to appear embarrassed and set her phone down quickly. "You don't usually text anyone other than me and your mum."

"I made some new friends at the weekend," she shrugged casually, catching the blonde off guard for not having mentioned it all week. "They've just been texting me. They're having a party actually on Saturday and I've been allowed to ask you, would you please do me the honor of joining?"

"I mean yeah, but it's the first I've heard of it," Rose recoiled with a surprised laugh. "Can I hear the full story, please and thank you?"

The description of her weekend antics that followed thereafter were hard to imagine, much less believe. Although if there was anyone Rose knew that would end up in such a situation, it would be Lennon. She didn't quite believe however that her newfound trio of friends were successful YouTubers until shown their social media accounts and the picture of them together, but it was enough proof to convince her that Lennon hadn't been duped by a group of nobodies trying to impress a girl.

"Here I was talking about how my brother accidentally knocked my gran's teeth out and you're like a walking-fan fiction," she exclaimed excitedly, shaking her head as she tried to process it once again. Lennon's resulting glare reminded Rose that her friend wasn't particularly a person who was wrapped up in caring about a person's social standing, but she still couldn't help envy her. It was a story for her future grandchildren, for sure.

"They're nice guys, I have to admit," she shrugged nonchalantly, posture stiffening once her phone dinged once more. Lennon bit her nails to stop herself from grabbing the phone, before reaching for her pint to stop from jittering. Rose watched the scene with amusement before finally relenting and throwing her hands up.

"Go on then, answer them."

Not wasting a second, Lennon dived for the phone to read the message, her lips lifting into a grin once more while she read it. Her thumbs flew across the screen as she rushed to reply.

"It's him not them, I'm texting Harry at the minute," Lennon corrected, placing her phone down once again to give Rose her full undivided attention. The blonde across the table raised an eyebrow at that, teasing comments bubbling at her lips about how she seemed so eager to talk to this Harry.

Like she said, Rose had never Lennon quite so invested in her phone.

"So back to you," Lennon began after taking a long swig of her pint. "I wanna hear all your brother knocking your grandmother's teeth out. It sounds way more interesting."