xiv. meat on the grill

"HONESTLY, IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME," Lennon calmly tried to soothe the frantic customer, who was in the midst of apologising profusely for her Dobermann's mess

"HONESTLY, IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME," Lennon calmly tried to soothe the frantic customer, who was in the midst of apologising profusely for her Dobermann's mess. It was a rather hectic couple of minutes inside the Dog House, as the lady's companion had taken a strong disliking to a Shih Tzu that had newly arrived and ended up completely toppling the table that his leash was tied to.

After a few more apologies and a rather generous tip, Lennon returned to the kitchen with a dustpan full of broken cups and a promise to herself that she would further enforce the need to have their furniture bolted to the ground. She hadn't been lying when she said it was an incident that happened quite often.

"I see why you've put a bit of effort into that make-up today," Maggie teasingly commented to the girl as she suddenly appeared in the doorway of the back room, nodding her head towards the front entrance. "I think I see your boy on his way inside."

Lennon's brows furrowed with confusion. She had last saw Harry that very same morning, elbowing him to awaken despite his hangover so that he wouldn't miss his lunch with his sister. Despite being hungover and an overall bad morning person, the blonde boy had tugged her back down and kissed her until she had eventually missed the 8.37am train, forcing her to get the 8.46am one instead - much to her chagrin. The later train tended to be insanely overpacked.

When finally the pan was emptied from broken china, Lennon had to force herself to keep from moving too quickly around the corner where she was met with Maggie immediately trying to usher her back inside.

"Nevermind dear, he's a little prick and I'll not be serving him if that's the kind of lad he is," she muttered with annoyance, continuing to try to urge Lennon back inside the kitchen as if to save her from some heartbreaking sight. As she was taller, the brunette simply peered over the top of the older woman's head and chuckled when she saw the sight of a girl at Harry's side.

Putting two and two together, she supposed that Maggie assumed he had brought a date to flaunt to Lennon in her very own place of work, rather than a sibling he was merely meeting up with. The two had already picked a table as they spoke animatedly, placing their belongings down and peering at the menu before they would venture to the till. Rosie, who she had to come learn was the name of his sister, was rather pretty with long blondish hair. She supposed their family must have attractive genetics. Nevertheless, she was surprised Harry had chosen her workplace to bring his sister.

"Maggie, use your noggin'," Lennon laughed, placing her hands on the woman's shoulders to stop her from further pushing her backward. "That's his sister."

"A dog café?" Rosie beamed with excitement at the sight of a particularly cute looking puppy in the corner. "I wish we could have brought Herb! Why did you pick this place if you don't have a dog?"

"They just-" Harry cut himself off, continuing to act rather shifty as he had done since first entering. His sister did not miss the way his eyes would dart up to the till rather often. "They just do really good coffee. And the brownies are nice too."