Chapter seven - Deep in the mind

Wei Wuxian doesn't know if being pregnant was a bad or a good thing— it's not that he didn't like the special treatment he started getting after the whole Lan sect knew about his news. He wakes up at random times every day and it was just tiring. One day, he would be waking up at five in the morning and the chances of him being mood were just unpredictable, the other times he would be waking up at two in the afternoon with his back in the worse pain possible. Despite that, the moment he wakes up, meals were prepared for him along with his daily dose of medications.

It's been a few weeks since the banquet and it seems like it was the trigger of the beginning of his pregnancy state, the exposure had him panic every now and then causing his spirit energy to wavered every now and then, his emotions were unbalanced as days goes by. The only thing that comforted him was the arms of his own husband, the small talks of the kids he guided in the Lan Sect, and the frequent visits of his now-brother again along with his nephew. 

It calms him down but the nights he spends sleeplessly are horrible.  One day, he remembered, in his dream were that lady with no face again, her tan smoothen skin seemed to smile at him in a way that he knew he had shivered in his sleep, how she would lead him down that long path again and disappeared the moment he tried to reach out. 

The next day, he would dream about Shije, maybe his emotions were unbalanced that day because he felt tears streamed down his face despite him still in the dreamland. Shije looked beautiful as always, her big belly bump visible under her Lan Lin's golden outfits, that gorgeous and soft smile never faded on her face. 

With Shije visiting him in his dreams, it felt like an eternity, Wei Wuxian could never understand the purpose of it. Instead of her talking to him in his dreams, it was just the process of her in her pregnancy state until given birth. Wei Wuxian wonder, one day, if it was some sort of a guide for him, to show him how his Shije coped with pregnancy and to lead him until he was due. 

If it was a guide for him, then he surely would follow through, after all, this is the only and the last thing he has a connection with Shije ever since that tragedy. 

So here he is, sitting straight with his back arching forward to support his poorly pained spine as he tried to drink up the daily medicine. Lan Wangji sits beside him, he has his hand rubbing the small back of his fragile husband as he watches to make sure Wei Wuxian drinks every last bit of that bitterness. When Wei Wuxian finished, he offers to take the bowl and hand him a cup of water. "How are you feeling today, Wei Ying?" 

"I am feeling fine today, perhaps enough to have a walk outside." Wei Wuxian smiles, tucking a hair behind his ear. "I've drunk my allergy medicines before, so I'm sure I'll be fine today, don't you think?" 

Lan Wangji hesitated, it's true that it should be fine for Wei Wuxian to go out without having to worry about his fragile body conditions due to the current fall season but he didn't want to risk anything. He thinks carefully, after a few seconds of silence, he released a soft sigh and reply, "Yea, I can't go with you today, but if you want..." 

"Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian politely cut him off, his voice thick with reassurance. "I'm fine. I know I've been getting weak but I'm not as fragile as you think I am. Besides, I can always call one of the juniors or Jiang Cheng to go with me, so you don't have to worry." 

"Mhn." 

Wei Wuxian stands up and lightly stretches out his body, feeling the tight knots undoing behind his back, and walks to the wardrobe. He picks out something loose and comfortable with HLan's outerwear. He puts them on and makes his way to Lan Wangji to plant a kiss on the cheek, "I'll be going now. I will come back in a few hours."