the hermit.

The afternoon sun sat high in the sky with all its pride, beating down sunbeams onto the residents of the icy kingdom below. For what seemed like one of the first times in forever, there was no snow falling from the sky, and not a single cloud could be spotted. It was a clear mid-day sky, one that encouraged all that lived under it to come outside and bask in its glory.

You groaned, your muscles still incredibly fatigued. The ball had carried on into the early hours of the day, and by now, it was late afternoon. You could feel regret sink into your vessels as your body ached and you found yourself nearly stuck in the feral position of which you had been sleeping in. Your eyes winced as you cracked your eyelids apart, the light immediately flooding into your vision. Your ears were sensitive that even the sound of footsteps outside seemed to sound like banging against your eardrums.

Your heart dropped for a moment as you realised you had just heard footsteps. If you were back at home, why in the world would you be able to hear footsteps? Your symptoms immediately subsided as your heart nearly jumped out of your chest. You jumped upright, feeling quite nauseous, and repeatedly scanned the room desperately for some sort of answer.

As your eyes finally adjusted, you found yourself in a darkly decorated room. The windows were large and colourful, welcoming in the harsh sunlight. Nearly just about everything was black or made of dark wood. Your eyes kept scanning the room frantically. Where in the world were you? There were expensive items littered around carelessly and before your worrisome thoughts could cloud your mind any longer, you heard a yawn.

You dreaded looking over your shoulder but eventually came to it. Peering over your left shoulder, you saw a certain prince resting on top of the covers. He was sprawled out and one of his arms overlapped with your pillow, making it come to your attention you had just slept on a royal's arm. He wore the same outfit as he did last night during the ball, except he had lost his jacket and his black shirt was loosely buttoned, revealing his upper torso to the cold yet serene air of the room.

You choked on this air, your cheeks boiling to an alarming red temperature. You looked down at yourself to notice that you were no longer wearing your clothes. You were wearing but your undergarments and his oversized jacket on your body. The pitch-black jacket loosely fit your body and draped down as if it were a dress. It was buttoned up, covering most of your skin. Your head ached, and there was a small ringing in your ear. What in the world had happened last night?

A small mumble escaped Bastiaan's lips, and his eyes opened like the crack of dawn peering over the horizon.

"[Name].. why did you do that to me last night..?" He questioned you in a lost voice, his tone nearly childlike. You raised your brow. Had you done something to the prince last night? Panicking, you looked at him worriedly.

"What did I do last night?" You interrogated the sleepy prince from behind your shoulder in an attempt to hide in the jacket shielding you from his gaze.

"You drank.. so much even though you couldn't take your alcohol well... you're lucky I saved you from that guy," Bastiaan explained to you, his arm presently shielding his eyes. Only now did you realise that your breath did indeed stink of alcohol. Very strongly, in fact. You had never been a big fan of alcohol and tended to stray away from it. You also didn't have a very high alcohol tolerance, so you had no idea in the world what had moved you to drink that much.

"At least we got some useful information... I now have appointments to meet with each of the suitresses this following week." Bastiaan looked at the bright side of things.