the magician.

The distant sound of playful chatter could be heard through the large oak door. However, Bastiaan stood next to you, looking quite uneasy. You noticed that he had stuffed his hands into the depths of his blazer's pockets, as his eyes stayed glued to the door.

  The words from the opposite side of the door were muffled, yet you knew that this situation may end poorly. You were now quite close to Bastiaan, despite your wishes for a professional relationship between the two of you. Bastiaan's outbursts of emotion were concerning to you, as you had never witnessed him behaving in such a way before. Anybody could tell just from the look in Bastiaan's once void and dreary eyes that he was concerned as well.

  The incident didn't make Bastiaan opening up any more likely to happen, especially now that he was seeing what his emotions could do. The air hung painfully cold in the air, and your muscles felt stiff. Posture glued upright, you barely move an inch from your initial spot. The decorative wallpaper and surroundings of this hallway could not distract you, and even the guards seemed to have an aura of negativity surrounding them.

  You open your mouth as your eyes look at Bastiaan's side profile, his eyelashes gently fluttering more than usual. You attempted to speak words of comfort, yet nothing seemed to come to mind. You simply closed your lips once again into a firm line and looked towards the door. The muffled voices from the opposite side had now died down.

  A lifetime seemed to pass by just standing there next to Bastiaan, so still that the two of you could have been mistaken for statues in the middle of a calm storm. Bastiaan's voice gravelly spoke out at last, breaking the string of silence harshly: "I have thought things over with my father and we have agreed it would be best for me and Amery to spend more time with each other before deciding upon marriage."

  You look at him, and your eyes meet for a split moment before his darting orb that was once at the corner of his eye snaps to the door, as though ashamed to look at you. "If that is what's best for you then why do you have such a grave expression on your face?"

  "My father-"

  Bastiaan is cut off by the guard gesturing over to him, then opening the door slowly. He takes in a deep breath and advances through the door, his foot just stepping in as he reads the room. In his father's study, were Princess Amery Smith's mother and father, sat up straight with their eyes pinned eagerly on the young man before them, right at his father's desk.

  Amery's mother in particular sat up tall and proud, a radiant grin breaking onto her lips whilst her husband gently rubbed her back in a means to calm her down, sat next to her. There was a hopeful sea in his eyes as he somehow managed to keep his composure. In the meantime, Bastiaan's father was sat gravely at his desk, eyes sternly pinned on Bastiaan, cautious of his son's antics.

  Amery's father takes note of this and his eyes focus even harder on Bastiaan. He bites his lip, and speaks in a graceful voice: "Thank you, Prince Bastiaan. We appreciate the advancement of this relationship with our daughter. We look forward to seeing how things progress."

  His wife's smile finally subsides as she builds upon his statements: "My daughter is absent from this meeting as she has some matters to attend to at the 'International Affairs' office but I assure you that she is overjoyed." She beams, the joy evident in her voice.

  "We have agreed that Bastiaan shall court Princess Amery until they come to a mutual agreement to proceed with a royal engagement," The King says to them.

  Amery's father replies, speaking gently to the King: "I will see to it that Princess Amery remains here for longer until they can decide whether to go forward with their relationship or not."