Chapter 7

I dipped my paint brush into the green puddle of paint and let the wet paintbrush stroke my canvas. I was calmly sitting in my art class which happened to be the last class of the day.

I let my paintbrush drip from the top of the canvas and down to the middle. I continued my strokes and let my hands create my image.

I was halfway through finishing my assignment when the bell sung through the concentrated silence of the room. I let my paintbrush leave the colourful creation and walked towards the basin. I let my hands run over the bristles and watched as it went from a rich emerald to a clear light brown. I placed my paintbrush with the others and went to collect my bag.

Before leaving class I said my farewells to Ms. Leamington. I walked into the hallway noticing the emptiness. My school always emptied out quickly. I turned the corner to find Tony leaning against the wall grinning.

Oh yea, I had forgotten about the audition. I had been so wrapped up in my work that for the briefest time I let my mind forget the torment that awaited me.

"Crap on a muddy stick!" I groaned. "I don't suppose you're feeling generous and will let me skip the audition?" I questioned nervously.

Tony chuckled and placed a heavy arm around my shoulder, pulling me tight against him. "Not a chance lovey. Let's go. We don't want to be late now do we?"

I mumbled a few choice words and reluctantly let him drag me to the auditorium. We walked down the steps towards the closer rows of chairs near the stage. There was already a large group of seniors waiting so we quickly found a seat in the shadows and waited.

Our school was large enough to have two auditoriums. I never felt comfortable in either. I sunk into my chair as I waited for Mrs. Ramsey to start the auditions and let my eyes wonder. I saw many familiar faces, many who screamed drama fan like Tony.

I let my head drift to the front row where my eyes landed on a familiar head of gorgeous chestnut hair and broad shoulders.

Austen James was auditioning and it seemed he wasn't the only one. Next to Austen sat the only man who made my heart pound. I stared at the head of luscious dark curly hair. I let my eyes drift over each curl from the top of his head down to his nape where one long curl hung making my fingers itch to twirl around it.

His strong broad toned shoulders were snuggled tightly in a dark red shirt. I felt my mouth go dry as I continued to secretly devour him from a far.

Henry Harrogate was something out of every girls fantasy. I licked my lips and tried to ignore the dip of my stomach at the thought of auditioning in front of him. Henry didn't even know I existed regardless of the fact that we shared three classes. I always loved him from a distance and I was comfortable with that.

"Good afternoon students." The low hum that was evident soon dissipated as we all turned our attention towards the stern Mrs. Ramsey.

Mrs. Ramsey stood in a black suit with a signature scowl plastered on her face. Her vivacious red curls were the only colourful thing about her. She was a slim tall middle aged lady who held wisdom in her eyes. She was nicknamed the dragon and though her personality agreed, she was still a respected and talented drama teacher. She had won the award for best drama teacher three times in our district.

"Now this is how the auditions are going to work. You have no more than two minutes to wow me, you do however have less. If you fail to grab my attention within even the first second, I will ask you to leave. You will be asked to perform a verbal piece where you will be required to read from the script I have left here on stage. If you manage to pass this stage you will be asked to perform a musical piece of your choice. This is a musical after all."