Chapter 8

"We did it!" Tony screamed into my ear before running into my open bedroom door and flying face first on the bed. He continued to mumble into my comforter and I giggled at his toddler excitement.

"We haven't been cast yet," I reminded him. He rolled onto his back leaning on his elbows to look at me while I stood resting against my door.

"Come on, after the performances we gave, Mrs. Ramsey would be an idiot not to cast us." Tony rose from my bed and walked to me. He wagged his eyebrows suggestively and bumped my shoulder with his own. "Speaking of performances, when were you going to tell me you could actually act! I thought I was the drama nut in this relationship."

I blushed and scoffed at his words and made my way to my bed. "It's not like I knew I could Tony," I whined. "Besides, who says I can anyway?"

Tony gaped and I laughed at his horrified expression. "Are you kidding me! Fiona you were amazing! I cried!"

I burrowed my eyes in confusion, "why would you cry?"

He answered by hanging his head and releasing a long sigh, "because you were that good! Your dialogue was serious and heartfelt and your performance made be believe you were Jane who felt lost and hurt."

I mulled over his words and let a smile spread over my lips. "Thanks Tony. If that came from anyone else I wouldn't have believed it but, I know you would never lie."

"Damn straight!" He replied.

I quickly jumped from my bed and clapped my hands together. "We need to decide what we're going to sing tomorrow."

Tony gave me his signature smirk and I groaned out loud. "No fair! We were supposed to decide together!" I said as I pointed my finger towards him accusingly.

He held his hands up defensively and replied calmingly, "relax Fiona. I'll still help you but you know that I've had the perfect song since the ninth grade for my moment in a musical."

I slumped my shoulders in defeat, "ah man, I forgot you've been practicing the song 'The one that got away by Katy Perry' ever since the song came out! What should I sing?" I asked.

Tony smiled and came to whisper in my ear. I grinned when he mentioned its name and I knew it was the perfect song.

If Henry was going to play Garth, I was going to fight to play Jane.

~~~

"Thank you all for coming back. This audition will be simple. You will not be allowed any backing tracks or instruments. I want to hear only your voice. I need to be able to hear if you can carry a tune on your own without music camouflaging your talent. You will walk on stage when called and before beginning, you will need to tell me the name of your song, and the original artist. If you are planning to sing an original piece, you can leave right now." Mrs Ramsey glared at us and then stared at her clipboard. "Let's begin. Tony Mcgraw, you're first."

Beside me Tony gasped and clutched my hand, "I don't know if I can do this Fiona."

I squeezed his hand tight, "of course you can! You are amazing and you know how much I love your voice. Now go kick some grumpy butt!" I said, referring to Mrs. Ramsey.

Tony stood up and walked on stage. He stood in the center and looked straight at Mrs. Ramsey. "I'll be singing, The one that got away by Katy Perry."

I scooted forward until I was on the edge of my seat and held my breath as I waited for the first word to leave his lips.

Summer after high school when we first met.
We'd make out in your Mustang to Radiohead.
And on my eighteenth birthday we got matching tatoos.