Chapter 8

"Well, that's a lot to take in, but we should give Will and Alex a few more minutes," Justin said, looking back over at the two boy's on the couch.

"Now it's your turn," Lucas said, crossing his arms. Justin sighed, glancing at Alex, watching him wipe his tears away. He frowned, looking back at the agitated teens in front of him.

"Alex got really bad anxiety after his dad died. That back there," he said, pointing to the boy behind him. "That was a panic attack. He tends to get them when he gets too freaked out or around too many people. There are specific things you have to do to calm him down, and I'm going to tell you because I may not always be around." He said, pausing to sigh, letting his shoulders drop, watching as everyone nodded, interested. "So, when it's a small panic attack, he'll just breathe a bit heavily and cry a bit, not too serious. All you need to do is rub his back and tell him everything is fine. When it's like something like what just happened, basically just do what I did, and hum the song Dancing Queen by ABBA. I know it's weird, but his dad used to sing it to him to help him sleep. Hum it slowly and softly, like a lullaby. His scars...well, that's for him to tell, not me. When you trace them, it sends cooling chills down his spine, it just calms his breathing. If you want, you can kiss him in a few places. His ear, his neck, his abdomen, he likes the feel of lips against his skin. Oh, something else. If he's ever just crying softly, draw circles on the back of his hand. He likes to count the lines of your thumbprint, it calms him and focuses his mind on something other than whatever is happening. I know that it seems like he does this for attention, but I promise he doesn't." He took a second to breathe, rubbing the back of his neck.

"We don't think that, and know that we aren't bad people, we're listening to every word you say about Alex. We're going to have to be a lot more involved with him if he's got El's powers," Max said, fixing the sunglasses on her head. "What about a severe panic attack?" Justin stopped moving, looking up at them with a sense of hesitation.

"Well, it's pretty scary. He's screaming and shaking, he doesn't know anything but fear, he won't recognize you. He'll scream for his dad, and he won't listen to anything you say. No matter how much he screams or says bad things about you, you need to just hold onto him and sing Dancing Queen. He'll either calm down, or he'll pass out," he said, looking back over at Alex. "After a big attack, he won't always know what he's doing or how to act. He might make grabby hands at you, or just act like a little kid. It's his safe place, his childhood." He said, still not looking away from Alex. He couldn't help but to smile, turning back to the people in front of them, watching them process the new information.

"Eleven said how when she had her powers, she didn't feel like they were hers. She said that when they left, she felt normal. Alex said when he passed the sign that he felt warm, he felt complete," Mike said, crossing his arms. "What's Alex's birthday?" He asked, looking at Justin. The boy raised his eyebrow, looking at him curiously.

"June 11th, 1970." He said, smiling softly, but dropping promptly after it formed as he looked at the looks exchanged between the four in front of him. "What?"

"That's El's birthday," he said, his voice lowering as he looked over at Alex. "What the hell?" He said, walking over to Alex, ignoring Dustin and Justin telling him to stop. "Alex?" He said softly. Alex looked at him, a blush spreading across his cheeks as he said,

"Yes?" He said tentatively.

"Do you know if your mom has ever been here before? To Hawkins, I mean," he said, sitting down next to him. Will got up and walked over to the group, glancing back at them sadly.

"Yes. Me and my mom used to be really close, and she told me that she grew up here. She said that this was a really bad place, and that this man would make her do things. Not sexual, but-"

"I know," he paused, looking at Alex as his heart race grew. "Do you know what time you were born, Alex?" He asked. Alex lifted his hand, shaking it side to side.

"I know I was born around five in the morning," he said, looking at him confused. Mike's eyes widened, calling his friends and Justin over, telling them to sit down.

"Alex's mom went through the same thing as El's, and they were born at what seems to be the exact same time. Maybe, since Alex wasn't born here, El accidently got the powers instead of Alex? When he entered the town, they were given back to him," he paused, scratching his head. "I don't think that if he left they would go back to El, I think that they're where they belong." He said, seeing a few nods of approval and a stressed look on Alex's face.

"You...you mean I can't get rid of them," he almost shouted, standing up abruptly. "No, no I can't do this. I gotta get out of here." He said, rushing towards the door. Justin stood up, walking towards him and calling his name, "NO!" He screamed, lifting his arm and throwing Justin against the wall. He immediately broke into tears, running over to Jusitin and helping him up. "Justin? Justin, oh my god, Justin I'm so sorry. Please don't hate me, please, please, please, I'm sorry. I'm-"

"Alex, I'm fine." He said, laughing half heartedly at the boy's blabbering. Alex nodded, putting his face into his hands and trying so hard not to cry again. He felt arms wrap around him, and he leaned into them, but they felt different. They didn't feel like Justin. He's hugged him thousands of times, and this didn't feel like Justin's arms wrapped around him. He wiped his eyes, looking up to see Mike looking down at him and smiling. He lifted his arm, wiping Alex's nose on his sleeve.

"One more thing. When you use your powers for more than something small, your nose bleeds. Depending on what it is, your ears might bleed too," he said. "It's not painful, really." He said quickly, wanting the look on Alex's face to disappear.

"Mike," Will said. Mike turned around, raising an eyebrow at him in question. "He needs to meet El."