Chapter 28

Alex woke up to Billy whispering in his ear,

"Don't be afraid. It'll be over soon," he breathed. "Just try and stay...very still." He said. Alex turned his head slowly, watching as the creature slowly crawled back into the mall. The boy whimpered, trying to back up slowly, tears rolling down his face. The creature lowed and growled, a tentacle coming out of its mouth and slowly moving towards Alex. Then, there was a firework, and the monster backed away slightly, screeching. It turned to Lucas, who was holding a firework and looking at him angrily.

"Flay this you ugly piece of shit!" He shouted, throwing another firework at the creature just as it opened its mouth. It exploded in the giant holes in his face, and the creature staggered backwards as more fireworks were thrown at him. They were coming from all sides, Steve throwing one after saying,

"Hey, asshole! Over here!" The creature screeched in pain as Billy screamed, falling to the ground. Alex started panting, trying to crawl away, but Billy grabbed his ankle, yanking him back. Alex screamed, flailing his body around as he tried to get Billy off of him. He threw him over, pinning him down and holding him there. He winced in pain, tears blurring his vision and Alex's mind flooded with his memories.

"Seven...feet," he said, looking at Billy. He looked at him, his eyes darkening as the black veins all around his body started fading and then coming back again. "You told her...the wave was seven feet." He said, watching the man's angry face pour hot steamy tears from his eyes. "You ran to her, on the beach. There were seagulls. She wore a hat," he paused, sniffling. "With a blue ribbon. A long dress with a blue and red flower. Yel-yellow sandals, covered in sand. She was pretty. She was really pretty. And you...you were happy." He said, smiling up at Billy, tears still rolling down his cheeks as the black lines on his body slowly faded, not leaving, but fading.

He placed his hand on Billy's cheek as one the man closed his eyes and a tear landed on Mike's jacket, the veins fading away and disappearing. The fireworks stopped, and Billy and Alex looked at the monster, Billy standing up. Alex slowly started backing away, looking between Billy and the creature with teary eyes. The creature opened its mouth, shooting out a tentacle, and Alex covered his face. But nothing happened. He put his arms down, watching as Billy held back the tentacle and shouted,

"No!" He was grunting and crying, holding back the tentacle when a few more tentacles appeared at the creature's side. One surged forward, attaching itself in Billy's side, making him scream out in pain. Then another one at his other side, then another one and another one and another. The monster lifted him up to his face slowly, then brought him back down as he opened his mouth again. Black ink and blood oozed from Billy's body, pouring from his mouth as he screamed at the monster. The tentacle in its mouth penetrated his chest, surging through to his back.

"Billy!" Max screamed in agony. The creature withdrew the tentacles, turning towards Alex again. Then, the monster shrieked and cried, staggering around and growling. It staggered for a few minutes before making one final scream and falling to the floor, dead. Justin and Mike ran over to Alex, Justin giving him a tight hug before Mike enveloped his whole body around him. The two cried, holding each other, warmth filling him that they knew it was over and that they were safe. Mike leaned back, only to surge forward and smash their lips together passionately, releasing only to hug again. Alex watched as Justin got up, running over to Will, who had been walking towards him, and embracing each other in a hug. He watched Max fall to her knees, stammering and begging Billy to get up. Alex reluctantly pulled away from Mike, moving over to Max and pulling her away from Billy's now dead body.

"It's okay," he said, repeating those same two words over and over again. He looked back at Mike, then at Billy, his eyes burning from the tears that began to fall. He held onto Max, petting her head and telling her everything was okay.

------

Sorry that it was so short