Chapter Nine: A New Life

Two months.

It's been two months since I left. Two months since I left Violet, Millie, Cole, and Josh.

It's also been two months since the government gave me a make over. Yes, a complete make over with an attitude change.

Well, let me introduce myself. I'm not Amellia nor Amira Collins anymore. My name is Melanie Preston. I am 18 years old. I am now blonde and my hair is straightened. The government also told me to loose some weight since I used to be a bit cubby and I needed to change as long as I can. I wear green contact lenses and I'm now living in Malaysia.

A new culture. Something I had to do was to change my life in a matter of days. I thought I was never gonna make it and here I am.

School year was supposed to start last week but I told Harris, the person holding my case, that I still needed a bit of time. And now here I am wearing a light blue Pinafore.

I am in form 6 (this is sixth year high-school) and I think my section was 6-Biru. I got my backpack with my notebooks in it and went to my car.

Harris said that we should have 2 cars. One for mom and dad and one for me. My car was a new version of the Proton Saga while my parents' car is a Toyota.

Our house was very cosy. It is a two storey building. We had a small driveway and then was the garage. Inside the garage was dad's car. Then on the left side is the main door. When you enter, you will be welcomed by the living room and there was a guest room to the right. Beside the guest room was the staircase. But if you go straight, you would go to the kitchen. And on the left corner of the kitchen was a small bathroom.

When you climb the stairs, to upstairs are two bedrooms and another bathroom.

I wait for Emery in the car.

I forgot. Emery is my undercover sister. She's just 12 but she is trained well. She knows what she has to do, helped me with my speaking and language, and of course to remind me of my new life.

I used to hate singing but in a matter of a month of training, my voice was almost perfect now. I needed practice for 12 hours a day. All in one. Vocal practice, badminton practice, and more. But the one I hated was my attitude practice.

I used to bite my nails. Not anymore.

I used to be a bit chubby. Now I have a shape.

I used to hate eating spicy foods. But now I love them.

One thing about Malaysia is their foods. They make awesome food and have an awesome taste. I already have fallen in love with a noodle meal called Laksa.

Emery enters the car and off we go.

I parked the car and looked at Emery. "Don't worry, Mel. You'll do great. It's also my first time. But I know I'm gonna love it because I know I'll love it."

We hugged and she got out of the car and walked towards her school. I drove a bit more and I reached my secondary school. I parked the car and got out.

All eyes where on my. There were a lot of people. Majority were muslims but the rest were either Chinese or Indian. Or both.

I locked the car and tried to find room 201.

When I realized I wasn't getting anywhere, I tried asking a random student.

"Uhm, excuse me. Do you know where 6-Biru might be?"

She smiles slightly and nods. "Yes. That is my class."

My face instantly brightens up.

"By the way, my name is Liyana. Awak?" You?

I smiled as we started to walk. "I'm Am-Melanie." We went to the fourth floor of building B and stopped at the second room.

"Woi! Kita ada rakan kelas baru!" Hey! We have a new classmate.

Everybody in the room looked at me and Liyana. A girl approached us and I think she is a Chinese. "Hi! My name is Carmen Lee. Just call me Carmen. What's your name?" She asks full of energy.

"My name is Melanie Preston."

"Come sit beside me!" She then pulls me and I chuckled as she introduced everyone to me. There were 30 of us. 12 boys and 18 girls.

We had tables that are made out of wood and plastic chairs. The room was brightly painted. The beside whiteboard, there were the class officers, a picture of the head master (principal), our section in printed calligraphy, and a bulletin board.

I went to the front to look at the class officers and I looked at the different names.

President: Muhd. Jairul bin Salim

Vice President: Nur. Liyana binti Abdullah

Secretary: Nor. Fatini binti Latiff

Muse: Ainur Shahirah binti Rosman

Escort: Muhd. Sallehudin bin Putra

I tilted my head left and right as I read those names. I smile when I realized Liyana was Vice President. She did look responsible. But this Sallehudin, he wasn't in this room. I don't think I heard his name from Carmen.

I sat on a vacant seat beside Carmen and soon after, a woman that seemed to be in her mis 20s entered the room.

Jairul stands up and announces. "Class stand up." We all stood up as he greeted first. "Good morning teacher."

"Good morning teacher." My fellow classmates recited after him.

"Good morning Enam-Biru." 6-Blue. "As you know, today we have a new student. Please come forth."

I stand up and stand beside the teacher. I still didn't get her name. "My name is Jasmin A/P Murugiah. My mother is Chinese and my Father is Indian. Here in Malaysia, the people are most likely to be a Muslim, Chinese, Indian, or Chindian. And you must be wondering what is that. A lot of people here are half-Chinese half-Indian. So, they call us Chindians. Anyways, I will be your English teacher and adviser for this school year. Please introduce yourself."

I look at my classmates and smiled. "Hello, My name is Melanie Preston. I am 18 years old. I was born on January 5 2002. My father is American and my mother is Australian. I have a younger sister named Emery Preston. And I love spicy food."

I smiled then went back to my seat.

Ms. Jasmin was talking about our permanent seating arrangement and told us to chance places with another.

"You, boy. Salleh, you sit beside Melanie. Carmen, sit beside Zikri."

Carmen smirks and taps my shoulder. "Good luck with Salleh. He's a handful. But if you are qualified, you might be his friend."

Salleh sat beside me and now I can see why he was voted as the classroom's escort. He had thick lashes and eyebrows. He has a pointed nose and his hair is a shiny raven black shade.

He was frowning and since he entered this room, I don't think he smiled yet.

I sat quietly as Ms. Jasmin started the lesson.