CHAPTER 4: A SPLIT SECOND

IAN
I was sitting next to Miles and Nick as we sat in a circle with some other guys I didn't know. It was my first 'group therapy session' or something like that, I wasn't exactly sure. I just know that it was stupid.

"I'd like to introduce our new friend, Ian!" the therapist, Ms Lynn, spoke with such a cheery tone that it gave me a headache. I immediately hated her. "We're all delighted to have you here with us!"

You're delighted to babysit a bunch of psychopaths?

My cheeks felt hot as everyone's eyes turned to me but I forced myself to seem indifferent. "Thanks."

"There are five different groups with about ten boys in each," she explained to me as everyone else zoned out, "you'll come in a couple times a week when it's your turn and we all get to share our feelings. You're going to love it!" She smiled at me again. I wanted to punch her but luckily I refrained.

I scanned the crowd again to see if Draven was in my group. If he was I was so screwed. Just thinking about him made my stomach churn and consider begging the nurses to change my room. I wanted to stay far, far away from him. I bit back the empty feeling when I didn't see him.

"Now let's go around and say our names and how we're doing this week!"

A few people grunted unenthusiastically but no one protested. I guess they were used to it but still not happy about it.

"Who wants to go first?" she grinned and scanned each one of us as if we'd raise our hands in the air and beg to go first but it was silent. "Okay, Jay, how about you?"

Jay huffed and stared at the ground with a scowl on his face, "I'm Jay and I've been feeling fan-fucking-tastic," he said sarcastically, "the food is superb and my bed is fit for a king."

Everyone started to snicker but the woman let out a tired sigh, "You know what I'll have to do if you boys misbehave. Don't make me have to do that."

Everyone in the room stiffened and I was left confused but Jay went on so I didn't have the chance to ask what she meant.

"I'm Jay, I'm sad because I'm in a crazy house, and I haven't been able to sleep in months. Better?" He sighed.

Ms Lynn leaned over to give him a pat on the shoulder, "Thank you." He flinched when she touched him but didn't move, muttering something unintelligible under his breath.

The attention moved to the guy sitting next to him. He had dirty blonde hair that dipped down into his brown eyes. I paused as I noticed that he was actually smiling— a genuine smile. It was weird seeing a ball of sunshine in the midst of all the darkness surrounding us. He was tall and his shoulders were pretty broad and he had a decent amount of muscle on him, but he wasn't as tall, broad or muscular as Draven.

"I'm Camden and I'm feeling great today!" He laughed to himself, "my little brother is coming to visit me tomorrow and I haven't seen the little guy in months."

Ms Lynn's eyes lightened up almost as much as Camden's after his turn. The circle continued and she encouraged everyone after they took their turn, offering advice every now and then. There were eight of us. Me, Miles, Nick, Mike, Camden, Jay, Brandon, and Angelo.

"I'm Miles," he began, flashing his pearly white teeth at me, "and I'm doing really good because I made a new friend recently."

He elbowed me in the ribs and I rolled my eyes, holding back a grin at his words. I would never admit how special that made me feel. I'm not exactly used to having anyone like me.

I pulled on the bottom of my shirt nervously. "I'm Ian, and um, I'm doing fine."

"You have to be honest," Miles whispered to me but he was loud enough for everyone to hear him as they snickered. Someone scooted their seat up and the sound made me cringe.