CHAPTER 16: TREAT YOU BETTER

IAN
Another week had gone by and every night I would leave snacks by Draven's door and then run away like a little bitch.

I felt like a wuss (because that's exactly what I was) but all that mattered was that he was eating. I felt horrible that he was skipping meals just to avoid me. That hurt a lot more than I'd admit.

But every night I got to see that faint smile of his when he opened his door and picked up the food. He didn't even have a wide grin like the ones I was used to seeing on most people. His was just a slight quirk of his lips but you could see a tiny bit of warmth in his usually cold eyes. I was too far away to gaze into them but just imagining it made me feel all fuzzy inside.

I was hoping he'd start to make progress— that I'd make progress. I wanted to do little things to get him to warm up to me. I had to be careful, and cautious, and so slow, but it was possible if I did everything right.

The boy who kissed me, Xavier, started hanging out with my friends and me ever since that night. He seemed to like me a lot and everyone loved him, even Nick. Miles and Jake still hardcore shipped me with Draven but they talked about it less now. Though, if anything I thought about him, even more, these days.

I felt a little bad, like I was leading Xavier on, but he had only kissed me once. He was a little touchy and flirty and he'd say sweet things to me a lot but he never said he had feelings for me. I never said I had feelings for him either. That eased my guilt a little bit.

I had been thinking nonstop about Ms. Lynn's book and everything in it. I hated that I was being so nosy but I wanted to know who to avoid. And honestly, I didn't have anything better to do.

All I did was sleep, eat, and daydream about Draven. I missed talking to him but I couldn't do much about it. I couldn't push him. I wouldn't.

I wanted to know why Xavier was in this place but it felt rude of me to ask. I didn't want to be invasive or make him uncomfortable so I just dropped it. I knew everything about everyone ever since I swiped Ms. Lynn's journal and I was getting used to not having to fear anyone's hypothetical hidden, ulterior motives. But since Xavier was new, he had a clean slate. I'd have to break down his walls myself. It was exhausting.

Not that many people even talked to me after that day Draven carried me into the cafeteria. They were probably afraid of him killing them if anyone bothered me, which, he probably would. He seemed very territorial but he wouldn't talk to me which was conflicting in itself.

Xavier was now placed in our therapy group since Chris was gone and we had an open slot. Whenever we had a session it was like a wild card whether Draven would show up or not. If he did he'd always come late, leaving me watching the door for the entire hour and holding my breath the entire time. Just waiting. I always made sure I left a spot next to me open so that I could be close to him, hoping that he might sit next to me. Xavier was on my other side.

"I'm Camden," we were doing that stupid introduction shit again. "And I'm really sad today. For no reason."

Through the book, I found out that Camden's bipolar. That's why he was so happy looking last time and depressed now. Everything made so much sense with all of the answers. Ms. Lynn had a new, shiny red journal upon her lap and seemed on edge ever since her original one disappeared. But she hadn't mentioned it to us or anyone else I'm pretty sure.

Some other people took their turns and it was extremely boring. Mike was talking about how he's angry because apparently the voices in his head won't stop insisting that he eat worms and that he doesn't like the taste so he keeps saying no.

I didn't even need the book to tell he was severely schizophrenic.

"Does that mean he's eaten them before?" Xavier whispered into my ear teasingly and I held in a laugh, halting before I could respond because the door opened.