three

anna

i'm unpacking my surplus of most likely unnecessary clothes into the wooden, white dresser when i hear a small knock.

i turn around sharply, inhaling a breath.

lisa smiles apologetically at me, leaning her head in my bedroom door. "so sorry i scared you. i knocked on the front door and on one answered."

"you're totally fine," i let myself smile. "i just got spooked."

she steps into my room and admires the view of the water out of my window.

"is that a private beach?" i ask, looking where she is.

"it's the country club's so... yes? i think," she laughs a little. "sean said we should buy a strip of the beach so the kids could grow up with it. cameron surfs, grayson likes to be in the sun, but ethan doesn't really visit it much anymore."

"why's that?" i ask.

she shrugs, crossing her arms with a small smile and gleam in her eyes. "ethan and my husband used to spend a lot of time down there collecting seashells. i guess he just... lost the spirit."

i nod, not wanting to ask anymore intrusive questions.

"i wanted to thank you for letting me have this opportunity," i say, changing the subject. "this really means a lot that you're letting me stay here."

"of course, it's my pleasure. i haven't seen you in forever, and your father is a very good friend of mine."

"he says hi, by the way," i smile.

"well," she says, folding a shirt that i have strewn out and placing it next to the other ones in the drawer. "tell him i send my warmest regards, and i hope to see him down here soon. although, the east coast was always more his thing."

"definitely," i say, nodding. "but i like it down here. it's different."

she looks at me for a minute, a hint of a smile in her eyes. "we're having dinner at the house in thirty minutes, and i'd love to have you come."

i'm about to say yes when i remember what ethan told me.

aren't i supposed to stay out if the main house?

"a-are you sure?" i ask.

i figured it was like a family preference that no members of staff besides the necessary ones stepped foot in the house. that's what ethan made it seem like, anyway.

"of course!" she exclaims, as if the words that came out of my mouth were crazy. "any time you feel like it, you stop in. we could go on a walk, do a puzzle, anything that makes you feel at home."

i feel myself smile at her refreshing energy that i really needed from being yelled at by ethan earlier.

"okay," i respond. "that sounds... nice."

"do you like chicken?" she asks. "it's grayson's favorite, and it's his night to choose."

i nod. "of course."

her eyes light up. "i'll leave you to freshen up, and i hope to see you in thirty minutes."

"you will!" i call out as she excuses herself from the guest house.

"great," i mutter once i hear the door close. "i have nothing to wear, and i'm about to be glared at all dinner."

i shower quickly and put my hair into two dutch braids on the side of my head. makeup has never been my favorite thing, since i usually end up rubbing it off, so i settle for some concealer under my eyes and blush on my cheeks. i also cover up my pre-summer paleness with some bronzer, and begin on a hunt through my closet.

i didn't bring much fancy attire, and a sunday dinner at the dolan's seems like it requires the best i have.

my best summer dress is a floral print, flowy v neck. it's light green, which my dad always tells me brings out the green in my eyes.

i slip it on quickly, along with some sandals that will just be taken off and whisked to another room, and grab my phone.

walking up to the house, i take a deep breath.

this is fine. you're fine. ethan might be in a good mood.

but the arguing that i hear when i step into the foyer contradicts my previous statement.

"why is she coming to our dinners like she's apart of the family!" i hear a voice i can only recognize as ethan's yell.

"because as of right now, she is," lisa fires back at him. "i will not have you raising your voice at me in this household."

i don't move from my spot at the door and try not to get all sensitive about the discussion of me.

i'm probably the most sensitive person in the world, and if i listen for any longer i just might cry.

the noise of me walking into the dining room makes all heads turn, and all voices quiet down.

"hi," i say softly, a weak smile on my face. "i hope i'm... not interrupting anything."

lisa purses her lips as she sends ethan a scold. "you're interrupting nothing, honey. have a seat."

i sit in between cameron and lisa at the big table.
ethan avoids my eyes, arms crossed as he clearly pouts.

ignore him, cameron mouths to me when she catches my eye.

i nod, then lower my eyes.

as plates get served from robert, chatter goes around the table. i listen intently to cameron's story about the surf at noon, grayson's tale of the golfing this morning, and lisa's rant about a book she just finished.

i sit quietly, nodding and smiling at everything.

"ethan," lisa says as she spears her fork into a piece of steamed broccoli. "you're awfully quiet. everything alright?"

he sends me a look before turning back to his mom. "everything was alright until about 30 minutes ago."

i swallow, lowering my eyes at my plate again as i pretend to be really interested in my chicken.

why does he have to much resentment to me? what did i ever do to him? did i offend him? and when?

"ethan," lisa says coldly. "apologize to the table or leave."

he shakes his head, locking his jaw. "i have nothing to apologize for."

"then i suggest you leave."

he pushes himself out of his chair, shaking the table slightly. lisa sits like a statue, watching him walk from the room.

"anyway," she says, coming back into normal conversation as if nothing has happened. by the looks on grayson and cameron's face, this has happened a few times before. "how was your first full day, anna?"

i force a smile. "really good. the cart runs very smoothly."

"oh that's reminds me!" she says, setting her fork down and reaching for a folded piece of paper i must've missed when i scanned the table.

she hands it to me, and i unfold it as she says, "this is your written out schedule, but i'll of course send you messages reminding you of your tasks each day."

i set the paper on my lap. "sounds easy enough."

"do you know how to put gas in the cart?" she asks.

"i can figure it out," i say. "don't worry about it."

"and typically it gets cleaned once a week, usually on thursdays."

i nod. "got it. cart cleaned on thursdays."

she smiles. "thank you for joining us for dinner, anna."

"thank you for having me."

i politely excuse myself home after dinner is over, and immediately sigh when i get back to the guest house.

falling asleep in the big, king sized bed was easy if the only thing i avoided thinking of was ethan.