eight

ethan

during dinner, i'm still silent, but i refrain from shooting daggers at anna. it's hard to resist though, because she's such an easy target.

"anna," my mom says conversationally. "how did you enjoy the party last night? was it fun?"

anna only smiles. "yes. i had lots of fun meeting everyone."

"anyone i would know?" mom asks, reaching for her glass of ice water.

"jackie demarco and her group," she responds. "they're very nice."

"and liam webb," cameron cuts in with a hidden smirk.

anna shoots her a look, and cameron lowers her eyes back to her plate.

my mom lights up.

i hold back a groan as she immediately bursts into thousands of questions about liam to anna.

secretly, she wishes i was like him. he's so good at every single thing he does, and everyone knows it.

grayson sits quietly beside me, but i know he's listening to anna talking about the things she and liam talked about. he tried being friends with liam in sophomore year, but quickly found out he was just a stuck up snob.

the kid probably blows his nose with $20 bills.

"i'm glad you had a good time," my mom says, and i see the genuineness in her eyes. "you'll have to go to the next one later this summer."

anna nods. "i would love to."

the conversation gets turned to cameron and the new guys she spotted at the beach. i just sit back and listen, glad for the topic to finally be off anna for once.

when she offered to help me, the thought of spending more time with her repulsed me. especially since she's going to be the one teaching me and bossing me around.

i feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket, and reach for it quickly. i keep it hidden under the table so my mom can't see.

«unknown» meet me at front gate tonight @ midnight.

i furrow my eyebrows, then look across the table. anna glances at her lap, then up at me.

is this you? i mouth to her, pointing at the phone in my lap.

she nods, then quickly turns her attention to my mom speaking.

«me» why midnight? how did you get my number?

i see her slightly roll her eyes and type something quickly.

«anna» so people don't see you getting coached by your golf cart caddy, dummy. that's just embarrassing. also, staff has everyone's contatcs for emergencies. don't b late.

i pocket my phone, feeling slightly annoyed and mildly relieved. i guess it would be embarrassing if people saw me taking lessons from her.

i sit through dinner quietly, and check the time when i get back up to my room look out the window to see anna slipping into the guest house.

four hours until i have to possibly make the worst mistake of my life, and agree to let her help me.     

                                       «»«»«»

"you're early," anna says surprisedly as i walk closer to the front gate, squinting in the darkness.

"yeah," i mutter, shifting my golf bag on my shoulders. "i figured if i didn't come now then i never would."