fourteen

ethan

the rest of the week is quiet.

anna and i escape the house at midnight three times a week, coming back in each time at around 3 am.

i'm getting better, i really, truly am.
i never thought i'd see the day where grayson actually says he felt intimidated by me during a round of golf.

he was exaggerating of course, but it still made me feel good.

anna's not all bad.
but i would admit that to no one.

she's just annoying as hell sometimes for no reason.

as i'm sitting out on the front porch swing, reading a book that she recommended and lent to me, i see a semi-familiar car pull up to the guest house.

i furrow my eyebrows at the white bronco with the top off, and watch as the front door opens and anna skips to it happily. she laughs as she pulls the door handle and slips into the front seat.

i roll my eyes, already knowing who it is.

"he's gonna break your heart," i mumble to myself, shaking my head and opening the book back up again.

from the corner of my eye, i watch them drive off, a playlist of shitty music blasting through the speakers.

i check the time on my phone and i'm surprised to see that it's 7 pm. i've been sitting out here since dinner, and that was about an hour and a half ago.

flipping the book closed, a small print of writing in the front cover makes me open it back up.

property of anna-marie carter. if lost, return to owner. (555-3023)

(but you can read it first, if you want <3)

i find myself smiling at the note, and immediately clear my throat and wipe the expression off my face.

the sound of the front door creaking open makes me turn my head. my mom stands in the doorway, a relieved smile on her face.

"there you are! i've been looking all over for you. have you seen anna?"

i shake my head. "why're you asking me?"

she shrugs. "i've been asking everyone. i have a couple dresses that i really want her to try on. will you holler if you see her?"

i nod, and she disappears back into the house.

i kind of just lied, but considering it was about anna, i don't think it's that serious anyway.

my feet drag across the floor as i go inside and back up to my room. the book is placed carefully on top of my desk, making sure none of the pages get folded underneath.

after pacing my room, sitting on my bed, attempting to play the guitar that's been sitting in my room for the past three years, and ironing every single pair of golf pants i own, i finally give in and stare out the window.

the guest house lights are still off, meaning she's not back yet.

my eyes travel to the beach, and i get a sudden memory.

"ethan?" she asked, a small smile playing on the corner of her lips.

i hummed, bringing the mug of coffee to my lips.

her eyes gleamed as she asked softly, "do you want to go to the beach with me today?"

it makes me shudder, just thinking about touching the sand ever again.