sixteen

ethan

"scooby-doo is not a word, ethan," anna rolls her eyes at my scrabble pieces on the board.

"of course it is," i argue. "it's just not an a-list word. what else was i supposed to do with four o's?"

she laughs. "i'm not allowing it."

"i didn't know you make the official scrabble rules?" i narrow my eyes teasingly.

"if i don't then who else will?" she shrugs, taking off my pieces.

i sigh. "hey, i don't know if i've mentioned this already, but there's nothing more ego-crushing than playing scrabble at 4 am in a pink robe."

"only the third time," she giggles.

she threw my clothes into the wash an hour ago, then in the dryer about 20 minutes ago. i have about 30 more until i can get out of her pink daisy robe that she leant me.

anna sighs, but it ends up turning into a yawn.

"are you tired?" i ask.

she shakes her head, but her blood-shot eyes tell me otherwise.

"you can go to bed. i can get my clothes from the dryer," i say.

"no it's okay," she waves it off. "it's not like i have to be up for work in four hours."

i laugh. "then go to bed."

"nope," she states, popping the 'p'.

"why not?"

"you could look around and find my biggest secret," she whispers intensely, then laughs loopily.

"you're acting like you're drunk. go to bed," i smile.

"i've never been drunk," she shakes a finger. "don't put that false accusation in me."

"in you?" i repeat, slightly disturbed.

she smacks her forehead. "on. i meant on."

"yep," i stand up, being careful not to accidentally flash her under the pink robe. "you seriously need some sleep."

she falls backward, laying sprawled out on her back as she stares at the ceiling. "sleep is for the weak. and losers. are you a loser, ethan?"

"sometimes."

she sends me a knowing look. "total loser."

"am not," i argue, a laugh slipping out. "just go to bed. seriously."

she crosses her arms over her chest and shuts her eyes, a ghost of a smile on her lips.

"do i have to drag you?" i ask.

she sticks her arms straight out and over her head. "if you want. i'm not that heavy."

sighing, i take hold of her wrists and drag her along the hardwood towards her room. she giggles the entire time, especially when i almost flash her again.

"okay," i stop in her doorway. "get up now."

"actually this is pretty comfy," she mumbles, letting her eyes close as she lays on the floor still.

"never ever ask me how well i'd rate your professionalism during this job," i chuckle. "it wouldn't do you very good."

"help me up?" she asks blandly.

i nod, and she sticks her arms straight out. i hoist her to her feet and she immediately collapses into her bed.

"ugh," she moans. "this is nice. you were right."

she crawls under her covers, and i hover my finger over the lightswitch.

"goodnight, anna."

"goodnight, ethan," she yawns. "make sure to leave my robe in the laundry room."

"i promise."

and with that, i shut off her lights and immediately hear small snores.

shaking my head, i pick up our scrabble game and wash our glasses that held soda. i straighten the pillows on the couch, and even dust the bookshelf before the dryer stops.

i get dressed in the laundry room, leaving her robe folded next to the washer, like she asked.

as i'm about to leave, i notice a notepad on the counter.

i hesitantly walk over to it and pick up a pen.

dear anna—

"no," i mumble, tearing the page off. "too formal."

anna-

thank you for saying you liked my smoothies and jumping in a questionable pond with me. i hope we don't suddenly wake up with diseases, but the future is unpredictable.

i smile as i write that.

anyway, your hosting services were a good 3.5/5 since you totally cheated in scrabble and passed out an hour before i left. (just kidding). my clothes were superb coming from the dryer— also, are you proud of me for using that word? i read it in the book you let me borrow. anyway, my clothes were nice and warm.

i'll see you in 4 hours.

don't b late.
4:57 am

-e