thirty-three

anna

when i wake up saturday morning, i feel a buzz of excitement immediately when i open my eyes.

the giddy feeling of last night finds its way back into my mind, and i smile just thinking about it.

i grab my phone from my nightstand and scroll through the texts i ignored last night, and even some new ones from this morning.

«liam» anna come on. don't overreact about this
«liam» fine. be that way.

ignored.

«jackie d» anna? where are you?

ignored.

«ethan» good morning :) i'm sneaking in for coffee at 9, so be up

i smile at that one and check the time on my nightstand clock. 8:30. i have some time.

throwing off my covers, i rush into the bathroom to take a quick shower, and just put my wet hair in a bun. for some reason it seems to dry faster like that.

i multitask with brushing my teeth and making my bed at the same time, trying to make my room look slightly presentable.

when i check the time, it says 8:51.

"crap," i mutter, spitting out the toothpaste in the sink.

champion sweatshorts and a light pink t shirt from my high school senior powderpuff game get thrown on without a second thought and i scramble to spray perfume.

he's always early, so it doesn't surprise me when i hear a soft thud come from my room at 8:55.

butterflies attack my stomach at the thought of seeing him in broad daylight since the kiss, but i shoo them away.

i can't act differently than i normally would.

"anna?" i hear him call out.

"just a second!" i yell, my voice echoing off the bathroom walls.

taking a deep breath, i analyze myself in the mirror and then swing open the bathroom door that connects to my room.

ethan looks up from my geode collection that i started when i got here, and smiles widely.

as i talk, i walk closer to him. "so i thought that maybe i could try to french press the coffee today—"

ethan rolls his eyes playfully at my useless rambling and quickly ducks down to plant a kiss on my lips.

it stops me mid sentence and i stand there, a little surprised.

"i just felt like it," he explains.

my mouth curves into a smile as i immediately gather him in a hug.

"oh my god i'm so glad you did that because i was scared that maybe last night you regretted it and that you would be awkward this morning..." i ramble off quickly.

he only laughs, resting his chin on the top of my head. "nope. but do you for real have a french press? i've been looking online for one."

pulling away, i say, "i found it in the cupboard above the keurig. i don't know how to use it, but apparently it's supposed to be life changing."

he cocks an eyebrow. "life changing how?"

"the best coffee you've ever had," i whisper firmly.

"prove it."

i take him by the hand, leading him out of my room and into the kitchen.

he grabs two mugs from the cabinet, and the creamer from the fridge.