five

anna

"oh that's perfect," cameron nods as i do a little spin in the outfit.

the tiny jean shorts make me shift on my feet constantly, trying to fix the looming threat of a wedgie. the lace front, tight bodysuit does not help.

"i don't know," i frown in the mirror. "this doesn't really represent... me."

cameron smirks. "you can't even see through the lace. it's like a tank top, but with texture."

"do you have a jean jacket i can pair it with?" i ask hopefully.

she frowns, throwing one at me from a pile on her bed. "boo. no fun."

"i just feel exposed," i laugh. "are you sure this is what people wear to country club parties?"

"oh definitely not," she says. i sigh knowingly. "they're practically naked." i widen my eyes, glancing at my outfit in the mirror again.

"seriously?" i ask.

she nods quickly. "definitely. all the parents just go to dinner and leave all their kids to get drunk and then pretend like they don't notice. it's wild."

she throws me a black belt with holes along it, and i slip it through the jean short's belt loops.

"badass," she nods.

"badass," i agree.

she stands up, showing off her own outfit. it's more revealing than mine, so it helps me breathe a little bit better.

"i'm not even supposed to be going to these parties," i blurt as she turns off her light and ushers me out the door. "i'm not a member."

she shrugs. "we own it. everyone else can suck a—"

"cameron, have you seen my hairdryer?" ethan swings open his bedroom door, looking at only his sister.

"yeah. it's in my bathroom. hurry up or i'm leaving without you."

ethan sends a scowl to me, but i feel his eyes travel down my body as he turns back into his room, slamming the door.

"what's his deal?" i whisper to her as nicely as i can.

she gapes. "i don't know, but he totally just checked you out."

i scoff. "he can't stand me. i highly doubt it."

"fine," she singsongs. "get in the car."

i follow her down to the garage and slide in the backseat of her mercedes. she looks at me like i'm crazy.

"girl, what're you doing? get in the front seat. it makes me feel like a babysitter when you choose to sit back there."

i laugh. "i don't want to make anyone upset."

but the truth is, i'm terrified of what ethan would say. probably torture me relentlessly about it.

i can just picture it now.

"why the hell do you think you can sit in the front seat?" he'd scoff.

and then i'd probably end up with my feelings hurt and beg cameron to take me home.

honestly a couple hours ago, i didn't even want to go.

i was curled up in my bed, reading a book and drinking tea when lisa knocked and told me that there was a party at "the ranch" (which i'm pretty sure is just a fancy name for the main building of the club).