Mini chapter #4

This is gonna skip around a bit, and will explain how Mirio came to have One for All.

All Might had received a message from Sir Nighteye, their first contact in six years, telling him about a prospective successor. Even though the two men had been out of contact for so long, the symbol of peace was getting desperate and he still had a lot of faith in his old friend.

As he rode the train, his thoughts wandered back to the young quirkless boy he'd encountered earlier the same day. I do hope he's alright. I saw him leave the building, which is good. I should have thought about my words more. After all, I was quirkless once too. No time to dwell on it though, I have a potential successor to meet.

He stopped just outside of Sir's agency, bracing himself to see his old sidekick for the first time in nearly six years. He called you here Toshinori, just go inside. He stepped in to see a bright young second year talking animatedly with Bubblegirl, one of Sir's sidekicks, while the man himself sat doing paperwork in the background.

"Excuse me, this is Sir's private agency, you can't be in here without an appointment." She said, noticing Yagi.

"Don't worry Bubblegirl, he's an old friend of mine. You go ahead and leave, I need to talk to him." Mirio turned to follow her out, but he stopped the boy. "Not you Mirio. You're involved in this."

"Okay Sir! Hi, I'm Togata Mirio, and you are?"

"Yagi Toshinori. It's nice to meet you Young Togata. Mi-Sasaki... it's been a while, hasn't it?"

"Indeed it has Yagi. Mirio here has been working very hard, and I believe he is the perfect candidate."

"I don't doubt that, you always were better at analyzing character than me."

"Uh, Sir? What are you talking about?"

"Young Togata, I'm going to need you to keep what I'm about to tell you a secret. It's very important that you swear not to tell anyone."

"Um, alright! But what's so important I have to be sworn into secrecy?" Yagi inflated into his regular All Might form, prompting a small squeak from the student. He quickly deflated again, coughing up blood. "What the heck? All Might?!"

"Yes. I was injured in a fight six years ago, which reduced the amount of time I'm able to spend in my hero form," he lifted up his shirt to show his ugly wound, "and I've already used up all my time today. Now, your quirk, Permeation, isn't very strong on its own, is it?"

"Well, n-no, but-"

"I don't mean you are weak my boy. In fact, you're quite strong considering the fact you learned how to use your quirk very effectively. I am looking for a successor, the next symbol of peace."

"What?"

"My time as a pro is almost over. Someone has to take my place. I believe that person is you. Will you, Togata Mirio, be willing to accept my quirk and learn to become the next Symbol?"

"Take your quirk? With all due respect, that's not possible. Even if it was... isn't it kind of cheating? I've worked so hard to use my own quirk... taking yours feels... wrong? I guess?"

"I understand your doubts. I am in no way invalidating all the work you've put in to Permeation. My quirk, One for All, would strengthen it as well as you. I will help you train it. What do you say?"

"I... yes. I'll take it."

"Perfect! Normally I would train you up so the power wouldn't overwhelm you, but you're already strong enough, so, eat this!" He held out a strand of his hair to a very confused Mirio. After explaining, the boy took it and swallowed.

—————

Because of school, Mirio couldn't spend a lot of time training with All Might. Now that it was summer, he was able to train every day. All Might had had him clear Dagobah Beach, having him practice using small amounts of One for All and gradually working up.

The boy was adjusting to the quirk quickly, already able to use up to around 20% without harming himself at all, and 30% without breaking a bone.

"Young Togata, I'm very impressed with your hard work. This beach used to be a dump, and now, thanks to you, it's almost fully restored to its original beauty."

"Thanks All Might. Training with you has been amazing. I'm not going to let you down!"

"I'm sure you won't." He chuckled, patting the boy on the head.

—————

"I did it All Might! I won the festival!" Mirio shouted, grinning like a maniac as he jumped at his mentor, using a small percentage of One for All to push himself forward and tackle the man in a hug.

"That you did, my boy, I'm so proud of you!"

—————

"... and now you may have to fight him. I'm sorry my boy, I had hoped you would never have to face that man because I'd destroyed him."

"So... All for One is still out there? Don't worry All Might, I'll be able to take him down!"

"If you ever have to face him, I believe you will. However, I'm still going to try to avoid that."

"Don't tell me you're going to try to fight him again! You can't do that, he already injured you!"

"Have some faith in your mentor! I beat him once, I can do it again."

"If you say so All Might. Anyway, I need to run, Tamaki and Nejire are waiting for me at lunch!"

—————

Mirio stared at the screen, not daring to take his eyes off of the fight between his mentor and All for One. Come on All Might, you can do it!

He couldn't stop the tears streaming down his face as he watched his mentor's broken and bloody form lie still on the ground as villains emerged from the shadows.

He watched as they gave their awful speech before cutting off the cameras. No... no no no. That's not real... he didn't... he couldn't... he can't die!

Nejire and Amajiki hugged their friend as he sobbed uncontrollably. They made sure he left his dorm aside from going to class, and brought him sweets and games. The gestures couldn't take away the stabbing pain he felt, but it helped ever so slightly.

Mirio Togata vowed that he would stop All for One and the villains if it was the last thing he did.

Word Count: 1,067

I'm sorry? That's a lie. I love angst. I do feel a little bad for Mirio though. He's a sunshine boy that deserves better... but this is the only way to do the things I want to do >:3.

Also, I know exactly how I want this to end and a couple of the major plot points along the way... but I'm working on, you know, ACTUALLY WRITING THE DAMN STORY. I keep thinking I have and going, hmm, what story should I write after Broken Mask? And then remember that I haven't actually written the last, like, probably at least ten or so more chapters of this.

Anyway, have a great day/night! <3