28[Luna Malik]

Throughout the summer vacation, I do not see or hear from Kinta. I am certain he is busy spending time with Elsa Nakada. I should be forgotten by now. 

Right after getting slapped by Dad for funny reasons,  I jump onto the bed and face the ceiling.  Asking myself questions with no answers like why Kinta treated me nicely in the beginning if he never liked me, why he decided to talk to me when he had Elsa. 

I am starting school on Monday and I am not ready to see Kinta at all. 

Full of negative thoughts, I get frustrated so I open the window for some fresh air. Speaking of the devil, Elsa walks outside my house with a Japanese guy. With her long hair tied up in a ponytail, Elsa smiles to the guy as he places his hand on hers. 

They cross the street and disappear into the crowd. As much as I hate to admit, something  overwhelms me with relief.  At least that Japanese guy is not Kinta.

Monday shows up and I stand before my dressing mirror in my school uniform

Monday shows up and I stand before my dressing mirror in my school uniform. Having prayed morning prayers, I slowly enter Mom's room. Mom looks so much better when asleep, probably because she is gone to another world where dad does not exist. 

"Mom" I tap her.  "Luna. You're already leaving?" She wakes up immediately and asks while rubbing her eyes. 

I nod. "Yes, I want to go somewhere before school"

"But it's 4:30 Luna, It's dangerous out there!" She grabs my arm but I throw away. 

"I lived in a cage for a month! No where is dangerous to me anymore Mom, Let me go!" I raise my voice on her.  She slowly gets off her bed after my speech to open her drawer. 

"Here, take this. Take care of yourself and please just give me a call when something unusual happens"  She hands me some money. 

I nod and hastily walk out of the house.  The empty streets feel nostalgic and safe, maybe because it's where I have been defending myself from all the scary things in the world. 

I know where I am headed to and I know I am doing the right thing

I know where I am headed to and I know I am doing the right thing. I join the quiet train and admire the view outside the window. I am curious and eager to find out the truth between my sister, Ashra and Osman. I have been calling her line but she never answers. She has left me with no choice but to see her in person, on my own.