Chapter 6

The clouds evaporated, leaving the sky empty for the stars to dazzle. It was like one of those pictures from NASA, where little specks of diamond planted themselves in nonsensical patterns. As if someone had taken a paintbrush and splattered it aimlessly on a canvas. No matter the arrangement of words you string together to describe the phenomenon, none of them could capture how beautiful it was.

The town had also agreed to turn off all the lights so that the moon could have its solo moment. Many of the townspeople have also gathered on high slopes to watch the mesmerizing star show. Halmeoni was with her friends right now, most likely playing with young children and feeding them too much. You could have gone with her, Taehyung gave you the night off, but you figured the best use of your time would be to stay with Joon, in case anything happens. Nothing was likely to happen, but there have been times when his heart rate has spiked up unexpectedly and you wanted to make sure if he gets a good sleep tonight. Besides, you could watch the stars from his window and you figured he would want someone to describe to him what the scene looks like.

After fixing his blanket, you opened the window and allowed the spring air to enter the room. It brought with it sweet aromas of flowers and barley. A familiar smell to you, but it must be strange for him. "Woah," you exclaimed. "I never thought the sky could be this bright at night." It reminded you of your childhood, safely tucked under the arms of your parents as they explained what constellations mean. You used to make wishes under the clear sky. Those were the best years of your life, where you had nothing to worry about aside from which one of halmeoni's treats you wanted for breakfast.

"You know it's a shame you can't see it, Joon. I wish my phone would take good pictures to show you, but nothing can beat the eyes. I don't think stars in the city can ever compare to this. I guess you'll have to come back in 10 years. But let's just focus on waking up first. Wake up and leave this place, you don't want to be stuck here like me. You should wake up and go to places where I can't for me. Like New York on New Year's Eve." you chuckled. It was entirely possible that he couldn't hear anything, but you wanted to believe otherwise because then you wouldn't feel so alone. With your back pressed against the window, you continued to hold your gaze to the galaxy above.

He did hear it, had been hearing every word that was spoken to him. From the policemen telling him they will get him out to the young doctor that begged him to fight for his life, and to you, the person talking to him right now with such remorse in her voice. It made him upset as well, no one should be sad alone. It should be dealt with together. Listening closer, it was also the voice that had told him to wake up for the sake of himself, something he had never heard before.

Wait a minute. When he thought more about it, he didn't know if he had heard it before or not because he couldn't remember everything that was ever said to him. In fact, he doesn't even know the places he has been to, the food he has eaten, the people he has met and conversed with. He tried to think of a familiar face to find none, he didn't know if he had any friends, or even family. The scariest thing is that he has forgotten his own name.

His body wouldn't move just yet, but his mind was alive, every brain muscles working hard to put a coherent picture together of who he is. He found not a single clue about his identity. Joon, he suddenly remembers, it's the name you had been using to call him. The only thing he could grab onto, and he held it like a water float. For now, he'll leave it at that because there was nothing else he could do.

Your eyes flickered, a shooting star darted across the Prussian sky. "Oh my god," you jumped, "Joon, you should have seen it, it flew so fast."

Joon, he heard it again, this time, your voice came out sweet and true. He couldn't help but believe that no one had ever called him with such tender before. Then he did something unexpected. When his eyes opened, before taking in the room, he slowly turned his head to the window where the voice had been coming from. He didn't have any sort of expectations of who it might have belonged to but when he found the person standing there, his heart raced. A breeze in her hair and the smile that no stars can compare to. A sensation crawled over his body, like an instinct to protect that happiness. He was breathing again.

The monitor went off, his heartbeat was out of control. As you turned around, your knees almost gave out and your heart leaped. His eyes were fixated on you. You saw them clearly, a forest of light. But as soon as you blinked, they shut again and you questioned if you saw right in the first place. The monitor displayed a steady heart rate and breathing. It could have been because you were too excited about the star and you created an illusion for yourself. Or that naively, you had wished upon the star that he would wake up to see the sky with you.

You sighed and closed the window. Either way, the show dimmed down and the room went back to how it had been before with only one person who is wide awake and one stuck in his mind.