Chapter 16

Your phone buzzed in your pocket, but you ignored it. It was work hour after all and no one would ever call you except telemarketer. If it were halmeoni or Joon, they would have called the hospital or Taehyung if it was an emergency. The buzzing sensation continued and once you were out in the hall, you rummage through your pocket. It was definitely not a number you were expecting to hear from.

The last time he called you was a few months ago to question Taehyung's whereabouts when he went out of town for a medical meeting. He ended up crying for a good half an hour before calling you because he was afraid that Taehyung finally made the decision to leave him. You assured that it was only because he was out of town for a medical conference and Taehyung had told Yoongi about it before but he had been too sleepy to pay attention. Serves him right, you thought. Back to the problem at hand, he was calling you in the late afternoon, a couple of hours before the end of the day and when he knows Taehyung was still at the hospital.

"Hey, Yoon, what's going on? Taehyung is safe, if that's what you're wondering."

Yoongi chuckled, "I appreciate that update but I'm not calling for Taehyung." The other line was silent for a few seconds, "I think you might need to leave work a little early today."

"What's wrong?"

Yoongi sighed, looking at the two battered and bruised men in separate cells glaring at each other with a rage that could blow up the entire country. "Let's talk when you get here." Then the line went dead. You were left in utter silence. Walking to Taehyung's office, you wondered what you would tell him. It would be the first time ever that you asked to leave early and it left you in more shock when he said okay without requiring any explanation. Without another word, you were on your way to the station.

Joon stared at the clock, it had been a few hours since the police took him and Jimin and placed them in jail cells. He was overwhelmed with all the statement that they had to take and was a little ashamed of himself that Yoongi had to call you since you were the person responsible for him. He tried to imagine the look of disappointment on your face when you come in, how sad and strange you would look at him. It hurt his heart. But he wouldn't take it back, because the man in the other cell deserves every second of it.

The doors to the station burst open, and his eyes found you with your hair blowing while in the momentum. He saw a painting. When your eyes found him, you saw a scene from a war movie. He was covered in bruises and dried patches of blood painted his cheeks and knuckles. Your heart stopped, you almost forgot about the other man. Koon jumped to his feet. "Y/N, I'm sorry-"

"Save it," you exhaled. Yoongi explained the situation quietly and every now and then, you would glance over at the guilty boy, who gave you sparkling eyes every chance in hopes that you would forgive him.

"I'll let him go with a warning," Yoongi said. "Just make sure he doesn't do this again."

"Okay. But what will happen to.... Him?"

Yoongi glanced at the entitled city boy, "I'll escort him out of town myself. Joon told me what happened and I believe as an officer and your friend, I should show him some courtesy."

"Yoongi, that sounds threatening."

He nodded, "It should. Now, go home before it gets too late." He opened the door to the cell and Joon walked out slowly. You couldn't handle looking at him, after knowing what happened. What happened was your fault and he was a casualty. Joon's mouth felt dry during the walk home, crickets performed an orchestra while your voices failed to fill the air. There was nothing to say, nothing to explain further. Both of you were just avoiding the truth.

Luckily, halmeoni went to bed early tonight. Joon sat on the steps while you search for the first aid kit. He ran sentences through his mind of what he should say to you. He hated knowing that you were put in such an uncomfortable position because of him. When you came back, his shoulders perked up. "Y/N, please listen to me," he begged. "I'm sorry."

You couldn't hear it, your mind trapped you in the ocean that it was your fault. You continued to clean his face, wiping the blood away, touching his bruises, praying that it will go away with a touch of a finger, like you're some sort of angel. That was certainly not you. He gasped, catching the tears falling out of your eyes. He grabbed your wrist gently and pulled it back. "Y/N, stop."

"Why would you do that?" you asked. "Why would you get in a fight with him?"

"Are you crying because of that?"

"I'm crying because you got hurt, pabo." you wailed. "You got hurt because of me. Why would you do that?"

He sighed out of relief, and immense happiness that you were worried about him. He wondered if anyone had ever cried because they cared about him so much before. He didn't want to think about it, his attention was fully on you right now. "I would do anything for you," he confessed. "And I wouldn't hesitate to do it again."

"Why? I'm not worth it."

"Don't ever say that." He pulled your hand down, and pressed it gently to his lips. The blood rushed to your cheeks. "You are so worth it. You will never be the things he called you. You are remarkable in every way possible and it's his loss that he doesn't see it."

"Joon,"

"But I see it," he continued, "I see all of it. And it's selfish of me to say but I want to see more. I want to hear your stories, live in your mind, explore the details that make up you. I want to be the one that protects you from monsters like him."

"Thank you for defending me. I just feel awful that you got hurt in the process."

"But you're taking care of me now, so it's okay."

You chuckled softly, "I don't deserve this. I'm not really remarkable."

His eyes stared at yours with the same intensity as they always had. "Let me decide that for myself," he implored. "Go on a date with me."