Chapter 11

The move was relatively quick, considering Joon only had himself. But Taehyung sent over a truckload of old clothing, some of which were a little bit short on Joon but neither of you could complain about the free stuff. As you had suspected, halmeoni immediately obsessed over Joon. He gave her a long hug as soon as they met and told her that her food was the best in the world. They were going to get along just fine. She did tease you about the fact that you invited a young man to live with you and how he practically fell from the sky. You told her not to say such ridiculous things but you couldn't help but wonder what the future will have in store for all of you. He was absolutely perfect in her eyes. In the few days that he had been at the house, he had been helping her with the garden, livestock, and didn't complain about the heat of the market under the blazing sun. Like a puppy, he did everything she asked for, and she was grateful for the company.

It was a selfish request, but a part of you did wish it could stay like this. Just the three of you in a quaint home in a calm town. You felt less lonely and halmeoni felt the same. Joon was content that he had stepped foot into another one of your world, one where he saw another side of you that made him even more captivated. He still doesn't remember what his family was like or who was in it and he questioned whether or not they had made him happy the way you do right now. He didn't want to remember either. He wanted the memories he has now to make up the rest of the pieces of the puzzle, somehow, make the first time he woke up the place where it all began.

But it was impossible. He's not the carefree person named Joon who's living the best life with you in this town. This is only temporary. He knew for sure there were more about him to unravel, like why he ran away, or who he was running away from. For all he knows, there must be someone anxiously waiting for him to return. Someone who knows the real him, who loves him, who makes his heart skip a beat. Someone like you, but in his other life, the one that isn't in this town. He wondered if that person could make him feel the tingles and electricity in his body the way you do. When he saw you shuffling towards him in your slipper and a bowl of grapes with your usual dazzling smile, he thought to himself, it must be impossible because you're only supposed to feel this once. This feeling of falling but also flying, it should only happen with one person.

You placed the bowl down on the steps, and sat beside him. The night sky was cloudless, with the crescent moon being the only attraction. He felt the warmth of your body as your shoulders almost brushed. "What were you thinking about?" you asked.

"You noticed?"

"Well I saw your face," you chuckled. "It looks like Yoongi's face when he's stuck in thought. It's quite rare for that man to be thinking about anything at all, besides food or sleep or Taehyung. But you look like there's something on your mind."

He exhaled, and leaned back on his palms. You noticed his eyes were twinkling like the stars above. They held the galaxy and his mind is the universe. "I was thinking about what kind of person I am, before the accident. I wonder what kind of job I had, the hobbies I like, who are my friends and family." He bit his lips and looked down at his feet, "Do I have that special person in my life?"

For some strange reason, hearing him say that last sentence, in particular, made your stomach churned a little. Your selfishness was back. Of course he would think about those kinds of things, it's within his rights and that's his life. And of course he would have that person because everything about him deserves love and happiness. What you want wouldn't matter because you don't have a saying in his life. "I don't know, but I feel that whatever you did, you were amazing at it."

He hid his beam while stuffing his face with grapes, "Do you really think that?"

You nodded, "Halmeoni said the same thing when she first saw you, something about your face told her that. And also 'Joon' means genius, so I don't think you have to worry about your job. As for friends, from what I've seen, there's this force of attraction that people feel when they're around you. You make them feel good, that's why all the patients and nurses loved you so much. As for a special person, it would be crazy if someone hasn't already fallen for you."

His cheeks grew hotter. He wanted that compliment to be a confession instead, but he'll take it for now. At the same time, if that were true, then he feels incredibly guilty for that person because his heart is wavering right now.

"The stars are so much brighter tonight," he exclaimed.

"Not as bright as that night a few weeks ago, but pretty close."

He thought back to that night and the first time he saw you with moon dust in your hair, lighting up his eyes. "It's kind of like something out of a movie, or a fairy tale."

You smiled, "When my parents were alive, I use to make wishes upon the stars. I can't remember much but I'm sure I wished for trivial things like staying up an extra hour at night to watch read comic books or an extra portion of snacks for kindergarten. Then after they passed away, I started wishing that they would come back. Countless nights I imagined that they will come into my room and tuck me in like they always do. Halmeoni tried her best, but it was never the same. And when I found out the stars' lights have faded long ago and I was a couple of million light-years behind, I was so sad. I realized why my wishes never came true, and why my parents never came back."

He watched as you wiped the tears away. Telling you not to be sad was pointless. The only thing he could do was to sit with you. After a few minutes, he decided that it was fine to check on you and glanced over. His heart fluttered when he found you sleeping, with your head leaning against the wooden support beam. The tears have dried. Gently, he lifted your body up bridal style and carried you to your room, be careful to not run your feet into the walls. He draped the blanket over you, and lightly brushed the hair out of your face. His fingers lingered for a moment. As he turned around, he found halmeoni by the doorway with a playful smile.

"You like my granddaughter, don't you?" she whispered.

He couldn't deny it, it's too obvious. So instead, he placed his index finger over his lips. "Don't tell her," he requested. "Not quite yet."