Chapter 23

It was the first time in a while that he stepped foot into a restaurant that didn't have plastic chairs surrounding a wobbly wooden table. It didn't have a singular light by the merchant as she cooks whatever the dish it. It didn't have children running around with crickets on strings, their laughter wasn't anywhere near. Scents of grains didn't lace the air. He didn't see the usual faces, like Taehyung, Yoongi, or you. The stars weren't the ceiling.

This restaurant had a physical rooftop, adorned with golden chandeliers and painted purple clouds. Low voices filled the room. Their lips spoke of business, news, politics, world events, money. He wasn't used to hearing such talks, he was used to playful shoves and bickerings about whose shoulders are the broadest. His chest tightened, but he kept walking forward.

His parents had requested that he come to dinner with Hye Soo. The actress walked with a foot of space between their arms. She was typing away on her phone. He didn't need to look to see that it must be the one her heart belongs to. For some reason, he didn't question her, it felt wrong to ask about her personal life when his heart wasn't even here. That's something they'll just have to live with, until she breaks up with him at least. Maybe then, he'll find the courage to go back to where he really wants to be. But first, he wants to give his parents a chance.

He judged them too early. Doing his own research, he found that they were indeed busy people. His parents started out with a small publishing company that didn't find a lot of success with the public. That was until Namjoon came along and published his first romance book. It skyrocketed into success and many broadcasting companies contacted him for live-action adaptations. The publishing firm grew exponentially and his parents devoted their lives to becoming his agents, managers, and caretakers. He should be grateful for all that they've done for him. If only he remembers.

And if he could remember, maybe he would have seen it coming. They didn't hug him when he got to the table, they didn't ask if he needed anything from them, they didn't ask how he was doing. If only he could remember, then he would save himself from the disappointment all over again. With his parents looking, Hye Soo put her phone away and slid her arms around Namjoon's. He gasped a little, not realizing how strong her perfume was. Once again, he felt nothing but cold.

His parents sat unmoving in their seats, they had been talking to each other quietly before his arrival. News, politics, money. They nodded, signaling that it was okay for him to sit down. "You're late," his father grunted.

"Sorry," Namjoon muttered. He hadn't intended to be late, but Hye Soo didn't get home on time. Apparently shooting went overtime but he knew better what the truth was. His father exhaled and called the waiter over. While his father ordered, Namjoon kept his mouth shut. He was overwhelmed by the foreign words that came out of his lips. All Namjoon wanted was a bowl of rice and halmeoni's kimchi. He shouldn't call her that anymore, even if he's only thinking. Similarly, he shouldn't think of you every chance he gets. It was a habit, a dangerous one.

As the food arrives, Namjoon stared at the lavish displays. The aroma infiltrated his nose but it made him frown. It wasn't to his taste and he doesn't know if he was being biased or this is who he really is. "There's another reason why we invited you two to dinner tonight," his mother spoke. Her voice was delicate and she took the smallest bite possible in order to not show any fine lines or wrinkles.

"Okay," Namjoon hesitantly answered.

"I'm sure both of you are aware that you've been dating for a long time, and this relationship has helped both of your careers." Hye Soo nodded, feeling proud of her accomplishments that she tricked herself into believing she achieved on her own. "So we were thinking it's time to move your relationship to the next step.

Namjoon's shoulders started falling as sweats formed on his palms. Even Hye Soo sat up a little taller, waiting for the fate that will be bestowed on her. "Okay," he said once again.
"We want you guys to get married."

The conversations that never existed around him drowned his ears. Beside him, Hye Soo dropped her silver spoon. People turned their heads at the commotion, but soon turned them back because it wasn't their business. That's how the city works. Namjoon felt nothing, he didn't allow himself to feel sad or angry, this is his life.

"Married?" Namjoon asked. The union of two lovers, bound together by words and desires. Both of which Namjoon lacked with Hye Soo and she him.

"It'll increase your book sales and also Hye Soo's popularity, it's a win for both of you," his father continued. Hye Soo nodded quietly. It seems that his parents didn't know about their fallouts, or maybe they knew but would rather not deal with it at all. Either way, they had no voice to say no. It would be a win for both of them. Hye Soo would be free to do what she wants, and Namjoon would be permanently bound to the city. He wouldn't think of you anymore. A win-win for everyone. So he nodded