Chapter 7

The day started out like any other. The usual rooster call, the sun blinding your in your dream, eating breakfast, halmeoni feeding the chicken, then telling you she wants great-grandchildren soon, the bike ride to the hospital, the patrols of patients' rooms, hearing Taehyung's laugh somewhere within the corridors, seeing the food Yoongi packed for him the night before, him telling you he'll set you up with a guy, you respectfully denying, and finally, stopping at Joon's room.

All days since his arrival had been the same, except today. This morning, with the curtains pulled back and golden rays of sun painted across his body that was a bit too warm, he opened his eyes and sat up. Every movement brought him pain, he felt the cracks in his ribs and the pounding in his head. But he wanted to embrace such pain because they served as reminders that he was alive. He doesn't remember a single thing that has happened to him, other than the fact that a terrible accident must have happened.

His back pressed firmly against the rough wall as tubes sprung out of his arms like vines. Taking a look at the room, he found it plain, yet somehow it brought comfort to his heart. He imagined it's because he's a simple person. On the table next to him was a vase with pink carnations. I'll never forget you, he thought, how ironic considering he doesn't even know what he has forgotten but somehow that random flower fact remained in him. Upon hearing birds chirping, he glanced over to the window. Outside, trees were swaying to the rhythm of the wind. He could smell the barley, it brought him back to last night.

The smile was still in his mind, along with the voice and how it called out the name he prayed was his. Opening his eyes to look at you took a lot of energy, so much that he passed out a split second later. But today, he was determined to look at you properly without any disruptions. He got his wish soon enough when you entered, holding a tub of water for his morning wash. He knew right away that it was you, the owner of the voice.

The tub immediately fell from your hands when you saw that he was awake. Water splattered all over the floor as you rushed to his side. "You're awake!" Pulling out your flashlight and stethoscope, you checked his pupil and heartbeat. He held his breath as you touched his face and flushed as you got closer, he could smell the lavender of your shampoo and looked the other way before you could notice. "I'm going to get Dr. Kim to check up on you, I'll be right back." Without thinking, he reached out and pulled on your wrist. At his touch, you felt waves of electricity flooding through your body. You dismissed it as excitement that he was awake.

"What's wrong?" you asked. His face didn't move, nor did it showed any signs of pain or distress. He seemed fine but when you tried to move your arm free, he squeezed it a bit tighter, like he was clinging onto something important. Despite his efforts, he couldn't say anything. You were afraid some nerves had been damaged that prevented him from talking. "Joon, I have to get the head doctor to make sure you're okay." you explained.

He shook his head and continued to stare at you. Suddenly, you felt self-conscious. No matter how you look at it, Joon would be classified as handsome and looking at your plain outfit, it felt wrong for him to look at you. He thought the opposite actually. With lips that were deeper than the pink carnations and hair tied back to reveal rounded rosy cheeks, nothing about the person in front of him was plain. You were the first face he saw and now the only one. "I'll be right back, I promise," you assured. With that promise, his grip on you loosened and he watched as you ran out of the room. When you almost slipped on the puddle of water, his heart jumped and he wanted to spring out of bed to catch you. You laughed it off, a little embarrassed and very outraged that out of all time, you chose now to be clumsy and stupid.

"Dr. Kim!" you yelled as you got to his office. He was in the middle of eating his strawberries and flipping through some paperwork. "He's awake." Without missing a beat, Taehyung bolted up from his seat and ran to the room. You didn't get the chance to warn him about the water when he slipped on it, sliding cooly over the bed. Joon watched with a poker face. Taehyung cleared his throat and proceeded to check Joon's eyes but the patient moved away from the doctor's touch. Instead, he was looking at you again who stood on the other side of the bed by the window. Sunlight filtering in, giving you a halo."It's okay, he won't hurt you." you told Joon, Taehyung frowned but you shrugged, gesturing for him to just go with it.

Joon was obedient and allowed the doctor to check his eyes and pulses. "His concussion is gone and he's very much conscious right now."

"But he's not talking," you interjected.

Taehyung bit his lips, "He could still be in shock from the accident. But we should get an MRI scan just to make sure." At the mention of a scan, Joon immediately looked at you again for some sort of approval.

"It's not going to hurt, I promise." you smiled. "We just need to make sure there's nothing stopping you from talking." He nodded and allowed you and Taehyung to wheel him into the MRI room. He was hesitant to let go of your hand until you assured that it'll just be a few seconds. In the other room, Taehyubng couldn't help but find the situation amusing.

"I think he likes you,"

"Shut up," you mumbled. "I was the first person he saw in this strange place, I think I'm the only one he trusts at the moment."

Taehyung chuckled and observed the results as they came in through the monitor. His smile faded. "Well, I think you're the only person he knows right now."

"What do you mean?" you asked. Staring at the results of the scan, you understood. The speech portion is unaffected, he's most likely still in shock. However, the part of the brain that is responsible for memories isn't functioning as it should be compared to a regular healthy person. In simpler terms, he has no idea who anyone is, including himself.