16: Good to Be Back

It's good to be back

Fresh air, freshly painted outdoor lockers, and my hands smashing Jackson into one.

The banged contact rattled a few nearby students. Bryce waved them off with a sneer and one-handed pin of his own. "Back off. Team shit."

Tan metal rattled behind Jackson's back. I held eye contact until he squirmed against my grip. Gone was the smug-ass grin he wore when he swaggered up to us. His eyes and mouth rounded, and the color drained from his face. "What the fuck, bro?"

"I'll say this once." I squeezed my fists around his JV T-shirt. "Stay the fuck away from Eleanor Harrison."

"Why?" His suggestive, smug tone directed this conversation straight where I didn't want it to go. "You smash her yet?"

"Jackson." I leaned in and glared into his eyes. "Unless you want to spend your first day in this locker, you have two seconds to tell me what happened at her work."

This conversation needed to end one sentence ago. "I didn't do shit!" The guilt in his eyes was the answer I needed. He did more than order a fucking pizza and flirted with Ellie.

A heated sense of irritation made me clench my teeth. Awareness prickled up the back of my neck and raised the hairs on my forearms. "You did. If I find out you're within a ten-yard radius of her again, I'll make sure you never play football at this school again." My threat was meant for Jackson, but I glared at Christian pinned by Bryce and Sebastian under Josh's hold.

"I didn't do anything." Jackson's whine brought my glare back to him. His shoulders flinched, and he turned his head. "I swear!"

With a curl of my wrists, I wound his shirt tighter. "Then how the fuck did she find out about the game?"

"I - I - I..." he gulped as I squeezed again. Panic slipped into his voice, "I don't know!" I didn't say shit to her."

I leaned over and barked in an unfamiliar voice. It was loud, dark, and full of threats. All three guys pinned stilled at the sound. "What did you do?"

"Nothing," he squeaked. "Just had a little fun. You have good taste. Bit of a spinner, but she's gorgeous. I see why you-"

Tension rippled through my body. I tightened my hands until he sucked in a loud breath. His last shred of resistance blurred as my breath turned hot and short.

Spinner? Fucking disgusting.

Josh pinned Sebastian with a shove and glared at Christian. "Too damn far," he warned them.

"Bro has a point." Bryce tipped his head to the side, then palmed his crotch. "I'd give her a spin. No one knows -"

"Shut up," I told him over my shoulder and clenched my teeth at Jackson. White skin stretched over my knuckles, and my fists vibrated near the base of his neck. "Give me one reason why I shouldn't drop you off at Santa Cruz and let you explain the details to Harrison's face. I'm sure he'd love to hear you say that about his sister."