22: Brodypedia

"Chloe!" I shook her soft, limp hand

"Chloe!" I shook her soft, limp hand. "Hi, again."

Jake's previous description of her made complete sense. With her pale skin, stooped shoulders, chin down, and eyes focused on the tip of my nose, her body language radiated... meek. Her tall, thin frame was swallowed by a baggy cream sweater, which she paired with a loose pair of gray leggings.

Chloe's vibe was the opposite of Jake's normal type, but his goofy grin and googly eyes at her were the approval factor I needed, but I could relate to personalities who didn't want attention drawn to them. She wasn't Jake's traditional blonde, large-chested bimbo type, but every girl deserved the benefit of the doubt. Unless I saw them make out at any point tonight. Then all bets were off.

Chloe smiled and squeezed my hand. "Eleanor."

"We met at the library," I said to Jake's curious eyes. A small grin played on his mouth and he jerked his thumb at the tall, lanky boy behind him. His brown eyes averted and the slight blush on his cheeks was visible in the poor lighting. Thank you, Jake. Thank fuck. Jake hadn't brought Kieran. Tension dissolved off the back of my neck, and my shoulders relaxed. "Brody!"

His hand waved. "Hi, Elle."

Jake glanced at me, then smirked. "I brought Brody for your company."

His words dissolved what little smile I had. What was Jake playing here? Company? Brody was a sophomore. He meant babysitting. "Lucky you, Brody." I gave Jake a well-deserved glare. "This isn't hazing, is it?"

He chuckled, raked a hand through his hair, and gave me a lopsided grin. "No, Ellie."

"Good." I climbed into the front passenger seat. "Can we go now?"

"My sister doesn't like parties," Jake filled the silence before his eyes moved from me to the back seat.

Back seat banishment? No way.

"Neither do I." Chloe pulled her lips into one cheek. Her eyes met mine. "My dad doesn't let me date, so sorry about this."

"Ellie." Jake pointed to the back seat. Since he thought I misinterpreted his intentions, he added, "Ass in back."

Eww, that's where the germs were.
Better than if he and Chloe sit there.

I climbed over the middle console, then fell onto the seat as Jake held the door for Chloe. She and I sat silent, which didn't change when Brody climbed in. His long, thin legs pushed his knees into the back of Jake's seat. A tinge of alcohol lingered on his breath, but his eyes weren't glazed over, and he seemed in control over his body's movements. His legs shifted as he squirmed, and his eyes glued to where his fingers picked the hem of his Cardinals jacket. More pink spread across his cheeks.

I stuck my head in between the two front seat headrests. "So, this is beyond awkward. How about, instead of me and Brody playing the back seat third wheels, I drop you off somewhere? We'll hang out somewhere else, then you text me to come to pick you up?"