40: I Hate Him

Slight amount of mature content

"Elle, please." I scoffed and shooed her, plus one completely whipped Logan, down the steps. "Go."

She threw me the brightest smile and left with stars in her eyes that matched Logan's. I stayed back in, of all things, a kissing booth. For once, I was alone. Technically, she left me with eighteen names to toss in my 'Not in this lifetime' pile. And fuck knows how many germs filtered through my body after that last asshole had mouth-mauled me. Better me than Elle.

Her terrified look when Mr. Hip-Thruster charged at her like a bull in heat was all my feet needed before they ran interference. Even though I wanted to brush my teeth, gargle peroxide, and scrap my tongue with sandpaper, I took one for team Elle. After her dreamy googly eyes at whatever he texted her all week, and giddy twitching on the ride, she needed me here. Jake would've made her day miserable otherwise.

I sure hoped I picked the correct distraction for her. The unending pit of guilt chewing the interior lining of my stomach like acid from my own 'distractions' demanded it.

Please be a decent guy, or I'll string you up by your balls to the school's flagpole.

I rooted for this asshole Adonis only because of the small smiles on my best friend's face since she'd met him. Cute, innocent, and encouraging smiles I hadn't seen in years resurfaced. Tiny smiles turned up the corners of her mouth, which she hid behind her hand as if no one else saw. I sure did, and unfortunately so did her short-tempered, dick-for-brains brother.

But fuck me sideways, no guy screwed up more than Logan did between now and when I'd shoved her into his arms. Elle's 'trip' was preceded by his wide-eyed, jaw-dropped, smitten-kitten look at her. How he physically flinched at first sight of her was all the motivation I needed. She deserved to be looked at like she was the center of some dick's world. So, as with other areas of her life, Elle needed a little push.

I almost laughed my ass off at how unraveled they made each other. I'd thought for sure his idiotic Jake retribution stunt ruined Adonis' chance, and he owed me a huge thanks for suggesting that Alex pursue Ann instead. It was for the best; Alex lacked the balls to stand up to Jake. Logan surprised me today, not by showing up and apologizing since any dickbrain could do that, but by how much restraint he exercised when Indiana and the Temper of Doom flexed his asshole bully card.