27: This Stinks

If anyone told me that making hundreds of sandwiches for the needy, dressed like an oversized lunch lady, with three retired volunteers, two other seniors, and Ellie was fun, I'd have called them crazy

If anyone told me that making hundreds of sandwiches for the needy, dressed like an oversized lunch lady, with three retired volunteers, two other seniors, and Ellie was fun, I'd have called them crazy. That said, I could have carried my goofy smile with my peanut-butter-scented shirt the drive home and nothing could've wiped it off my face...

Except for my stupidity. It was a brilliant setup until I stuffed my foot in my mouth.

"I must admit, Mr. Hightower, I'm shocked." Assistant Principal Lopez rested his suit-covered elbows on his desk. "Stellar in football, monumental school records, excellent grades, and now this?"

"Now this, sir," I echoed and fixed a fake frown of concern. "So, I have a good chance?"

Lopez held up the same flier Brody texted me, and the seniors made paper airplanes out of. "I see. We don't have any volunteers yet, but I couldn't imagine a better candidate to represent Salesian, frankly."

Neither could I. And no other applicants? Even better.

"That said." His frown deepened until a sharp crease line separated his thin eyebrows. "It is quite a time commitment. We're stoked about the two-win start, but I'm sure we can find some spring alternatives that are less exerting-"

"And I'd love to consider them," I interrupted. "But I'm applying now, so... I'd like to cover my college bases."

Given I applied weeks ago, I expected the doubt written on his face. "Is it the recommendation letter appeal? I assure you, we're happy to -"

"I would like the experience, sir."

My charming smile worked. "I admire your dedication." He turned to his keyboard, and a printer hummed out a few pages. "I'm surprised, but if you think you can balance the extra workload, then you have our full support. Mark any schedule conflicts, and we'll work around those."

I skimmed over the list. Most events were on weekends. Including one here. All were fine except one. Flip a coin at Santa Cruz's game four? Fuck, that would've been good for the Harrison drama factor, but how was it charity?

"This one." I tapped that event. "We're away at Soquel."

"Alright." He took the paper and sighed. "Let me figure out how to break this to Coach Williams."

"Gently," I teased.

Ellie's hair pinned back showed the shock on her face. The look she gave me while she danced with Earl burned into my memory. Her dark eyes flashed, and her cheeks glowed. She tipped her back, and her mouth pulled into the prettiest smile.

She was snarky again but she had no poker face to hide her reactions. Fuck, she was reactive. Her walls were up, but she melted when I touched her soft lips and when my arms were wrapped around her. I wasn't much better, the way my heart was squeezed by an invisible fist. She was so fucking small. I covered her like I blocked out the world, which surged an unfamiliar sense of protectiveness through me.