36: Falling Hard

"Care to explain?" Josh's eyes pointed to his wrapped-up arm

"Care to explain?" Josh's eyes pointed to his wrapped-up arm. "I've got time."

Huh, my donation time crept up. Having to babysit my team made it pass quickly, but each look at Ellie lurched me to a stop. The way she never looked at me, I wasn't here. I deserved her disinterest, which stung.

"Poor baby," Ava teased. "Should've taken my offer to help with the car wash."

On the drive over, Ava asked me for help reaching the roofs. From a head smash, my elbow knocking the window, and kneeing my chest, I felt every bump and pothole her tiny clown car ran over. Her eyes flicked back to mine with the same interest shining in them now. A small line of cars was surrounded by a bunch of half-dressed girls ready with hoses and buckets, I did what every teenage guy in this country probably wouldn't have done.

I looked away.

The last thing I wanted was other girls giggling at me, bikinis or not. My early morning workout ache sagged my arms and legs useless. All I wanted today was for no one to harass Ellie, I gave my donation and crashed into a nap at home.

Correction: That was what I wanted until I saw Ellie. Ava didn't deserve my Ellie rejection bitterness, but I couldn't help it. Nothing like spilling my feelings and then choking on them.

Ellie's physical presence held a weird power over me. She shifted my mood more than anyone else. Like now, my idiotic thoughts that she meant to say goodbye and I needed to respect that decision vanished at the sight of her. Her thin, delicate fingers, the same ones entwined with mine yesterday, passed out clipboards and snacks for hours. Her red sweater accentuated the curve where her neck met her shoulders, and black leggings hugged her tiny legs. Her long dark brown hair was pulled back in a braid, with a few strands framing her face.

Beautiful, with two exceptions. Her posture slumped and she leaned against the desk for strength to hold herself up. Her eyes were red at the corners, puffy, and underlined with dark circles. And, with a harsh glare aimed at me, she also looked anything but happy to see me again.

Silent treatment. That's new.
Can't say I like it.

Her soft, sweet tone stayed polite but cold and distant and she refused to look at me. She probably perfected that tone at her shitty job. Josh had time, so I'd told him what happened. The only details I left out were Ellie's past. I'd given her enough ammunition to hate me without it, including telling Alex I was her boyfriend.

"I don't care."

She had every right to be mad at me, but I winced at those words.

"Babe?" Josh trailed his fingers down Ava's cheek. "Can I have a few minutes with Logan? I'll meet you outside."

"Of course." She leaned over and pressed her lips to his. "Love you, babe."

Gross. Josh's eyes tracked Ava's exit, and his expression was serious when he said, "I see why you like Eleanor. Like, genuinely care for her."