41: All the Feels

Ellie's admission, coupled with her soft fingers curled around my hand, affected me more than Jake's threats

Ellie's admission, coupled with her soft fingers curled around my hand, affected me more than Jake's threats. She gave me a soft, innocent smile as if she didn't know the invisible leash she choked around me. Fuck, a rush of warmth shot through me. She wasn't ready to give up, even at the expense of affecting her relationship with Jake.

Ellie probably knew my answer, although the 'can I?' question in her eyes was a beautiful moment of vulnerability. This tiny girl had my dumb, gigantic frame wrapped around her finger. Like the first time I saw her, she had me with one look.

She always had me.
I was too stupid to see it.

For once, Bryce listened to me and kissed Harper. It cost me an extra twenty bucks, but, like the other fifty-four dollars I spent on don't-kiss-Ellie bribes, the expense was worth it. I didn't appreciate Bryce popping pelvic thrusts and taking my picture when we left. Future roasting material, probably.

I towered over Ellie, standing or seated, but my hand wrapped around her curled-in fingers fit. Her hand was soft and perfect in mine, tucked away in my protection. Her smile brightened my sour mood. Fuck, I was in trouble.

Her fingers detached to climb in my truck like a mountain goat scaling a cliffside with her scrambling short legs. She gave my laughing a narrow-eyed look and sat down with a plop. I closed her door with a laugh and climbed into my seat. Crinkled plastic filled the silence from where her fingers fidgeted between her present and the flowers. More Ellie twitches brought my hand on top of hers.

"You said we shouldn't do this." She frowned at our hand pile. "But here we are."

Did she regret it? I hoped not. "If you want a ride home, I'll give you one." I removed my hand and started my truck. Poor choice of words, Hightower. "Car ride. Truck."

She scoffed and looked at her lap. "You can't give me a present and leave before I open it." By her bright smile and eyes lit up, a sweatshirt was the right call. I would've sung like a fucking canary or written my feelings in an airplane sky message if it meant she gave me a second chance. It was huge compared to her, but an open book silhouette with 'Lit Happens' suited her.

"You're welcome." I laughed when she yanked it overhead. "It looks cute on you, baby."

With one flip up of her dark lashes, heat warmed her gaze. Goosebumps raised the hairs on my forearms, and awareness prickled the back of my neck. My heart raced faster the longer she looked at me like that.

"What?" I shifted in my seat. "You don't like it?"

"I love it," she whispered. A side look was a bad idea. Her pupils rounded so much, the skepticism on my face reflected. She rolled her lower lip under her teeth. Only her soft fingers intertwined with mine kept me from pulling it out.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." A flush of pink filled her cheeks, giving them a rosy glow. "I just really want to kiss you."